In a Time of Need

Many students are struggling with their mental health, and they need support in order to reach out and ask for assistance.

image from pixabay.com

Students all over the country are experiencing a mental health crisis.

Mia Naccarato, Guest Writer

I cannot tell you how many times in my life someone has asked me “Are you okay?” or “How are you feeling?” or “You seemed stressed. Would you like to talk?”

Each time, I took it for granted. Those were the days where I could find an escape from my anxieties by seeing a movie at the movie theater, shopping in crowded stores at the mall, and eating delicious food at local restaurants. Whenever I was feeling angry or sad or stressed, I could stop at the library and browse for a while to calm my mind, or I could go for a swim at North Park Pool. The world felt expansive to me. It was almost as if I could go anywhere I wanted.

However, now it’s a lot different. When my anxiety comes back and sends me into a downward spiral, I don’t have many places where I can go to sit and calm myself down. I don’t have other people I can hug and hang out with in person. It’s me and my computer screen.

One in five teens struggles with at least one mental disorder, and now more than ever, students need help. Whether the problem stems from conditions like anxiety, depression, OCD, and bipolar disorder or everyday emotions like stress, loneliness, and isolation, it is extremely important that the students facing these things get the help that they need.

But lately that necessary support feels lacking. Many students who are seriously struggling with their mental health are not able to reach out for support and get the treatment they need. Some don’t even know where to find resources that could help. Either way, students should never feel as though they have nowhere to go.

Feeling alone and paralyzed is terrifying; it’s like you’re stuck in a void with no way out. Sometimes it is hard to reach out for assistance, even when you need it the most.

It’s not that the school district and surrounding community hasn’t tried to assist students. North Allegheny has implemented some programs that aim to help students with their mental health, such as Upstreet, Resolve, and Safe2Say. They have also brought a therapist onto the staff to help students dealing with these issues. Wellness Wednesdays have eased many students’ stress levels, and the December coffee meeting between parents and administrators aims to promote good mental health and well-being in students.

But sometimes it’s hard to reach students, especially in such a stressful time.

So how do we, as a school community, ensure that students are aware of and have access to the resources that they need?

It’s a tough question, and it’s even tougher to answer in this hectic, unpredictable time period. 

I think a good place to start would be asking students what they need. I know that countless surveys have been sent out to the student body about a variety of things, some including mental health. But what if there was a highly-publicized survey solely focusing on mental health? What if there was an open discussion about mental health between the school board and students? 

When it comes to crucial matters like this, the student body is the district’s most useful resource. There are a lot of students who have productive ideas on this topic, but might just need a platform to express their thoughts. 

I know reaching out for help is hard. But it isn’t something to be ashamed of. Your mental health right now is more important than anything else. 

There is a common misconception that struggling with mental health looks like sitting in a counselor’s office for hours on end, isolating oneself from friends and peers, or abandoning passions. And while this may be true for some teens, it is not true for all. Mental health challenges can take all sorts of different shapes and forms, and dispelling the stigma behind mental health assistance would be a great first step to take.

It’s hard to repeatedly hear “It will get better” or “Keep your head up,” because it feels like, right now, nothing’s getting better. Yet a part of me knows that there’s truth within these platitudes.

It’s horrible right now, yes. It’s a disastrous time. But, like all people who have lived through horrible times, we can find solace in perseverance. I find that recognizing the fact that the situation is terrible eases some of my stress. Facing the facts head on and understanding the situation helps ease my mind.

However, I also know that I cannot get through this with my own thoughts alone. We often need help to get through the worst of situations. Right now, mental wellness is at an all-time low for a lot of students.  If that is the case for you, it is important to understand that you are not alone.

I know sometimes it feels like you’re stranded on your own island of worry and stress and anxiety. But there are people who are willing to help you. There are people who will listen. Trust me, I know reaching out for help is hard. But it isn’t something to be ashamed of. Your mental health right now is more important than anything else. 

Students need more support than ever. There have been steps taken to ensure that the mental health of students is cared for, but it feels like it’s not enough. Sometimes, it feels like nothing is enough. Regardless, it is imperative that we, as a school community, come together to address this issue.

Because mental health matters. And we’re all in this together.