Ice Time

Amid the pandemic, the NA Hockey Team has had to adjust their season.

Eva Bellissimo, Staff Writer

With the ongoing pandemic, student-athletes have had to entirely adjust their routines. They’re used to going to practice and working hard to play for groups of spectators. Now, in order for any of this to happen, there are many things that have to be done differently. 

One of these sports is ice hockey, which has had an unprecedented season thus far. For starters, tryouts were pushed back.

“Preparation for the season was the same,” junior Niko Vento said. “It was just weird because tryouts were closer to the season than normal.”

Every year, most sports have a certain way of getting ready for their season. Fortunately for the Hockey Team, even with COVID-19, their beginning of the season didn’t change that much.

“Nothing really changed before the season,” Vento continued. “Things were a little faster-paced, but nothing changed drastically.”

Unlike Vento, junior Hayden Watson felt that the timeline change made preparation difficult.

“It was a little bit different,” he explained. “It was honestly kind of hard to get fully pumped up for a game or even practice because the schedule was constantly changing.”

COVID-19 guidelines have also made it difficult for players to work their hardest.

“If you aren’t wearing a mouthguard on the ice, then you have to wear a mask, which makes it harder to practice at one hundred percent,” Vento said.

Watson agrees that practices have changed under the circumstances.

“Practices are a little different because we get our temperatures taken and get asked multiple questions about possible symptoms,” he said. “We also have to wear masks in the rink all the time except on the ice.” 

Sports teams have also had to adjust without fans in the crowd. Those who are lucky are allowed a very small audience—some allow none at all.

“It is weird playing without spectators,” Watson explained. “They used to hype us up during big hits, plays, and goals. Looking into the stands and not seeing your friends, schoolmates, and certain family members is a very odd feeling.” 

Even though there is a sadness of not performing with a large, live audience, Watson is still thankful that they are at least allowed to play and participate in the sport. 

“Although there are no fans, I still play my heart out—playing for myself and most importantly, my team,” he said.