Inside the Admissions Office

Three college admissions officers share their perspectives on the process many seniors find daunting.

photo by Jess Daninhirsch

College and university applicants can often feel mystified by the process.

Sam Podnar, Staff Writer

With an influx of early decision letters rolling in this week, seniors are seeing the light at the end of the admissions tunnel. But during the last few months, most students have churned out essays and prepped for interviews with little idea of what happens in the admissions offices of the schools they’re shooting for. 

With the admissions process becoming more and more competitive, acceptance rates plummeting, and documentaries like Operation Varsity Blues revealing the ludicrous tactics used by America’s wealthiest to secure acceptance letters, the stakes feel higher than ever, while the keystone role of the admissions officer remains shrouded in mystery.

But admissions officers were once high school seniors, too, and they’re constantly looking for ways to make the process easier and more streamlined for students. Three admissions officers—Justin Vorbach from Penn State, as well as Barry Duerr and Jane Byus from Pitt—shared their perspectives with The Uproar.

Vorbach, Duerr, and Byus all reflected on how they’ve seen technology transform the admissions process.

Today’s seniors may have developed a Pavlovian-type adverse reaction to the Common App home screen, but not too long ago, the entire application process was done on paper.

According to Vorbach, who has been working in admissions for over ten years, paper applications were still the norm when he started working at Penn State. Students would have to “visit campus and apply in person, wait for our counselor to visit their high schools, or print the application from our website and mail it in,” he said.

But the transition from paper to online applications has streamlined the process and made it easier for students to apply to more schools. 

The rise of the internet and the prevalence of social media have also made it easier for students to explore their options before applying. 

“Students can learn about and tour a university remotely, utilize online chatbots and FAQ’s to get questions answered, or connect with current students, faculty and staff without having to step foot on campus,” Vorbach added.

Despite the role of technology and online exploration of different universities, the admissions officers interviewed maintained the importance of a campus visit in choosing a school.

“Technology has enabled students to learn so much about any college they would like to without leaving their home,” said Duerr and Byus. “That’s a good thing and a bad thing because the campus visit is still an integral part of the selection process.”

Pullquote Photo

Getting students excited about the application process is just as important as the process itself.

— Barry Duerr and Jane Byus, Pitt Admissions Officers

Another crucial online component of the admissions process is the Self-Reported Academic Record (SRAR), which both Pitt and Penn State use. It requires students to enter their grades, one by one, from every year of high school and many students complain about it because of its tedious nature.

But, as Vorbach explained, the SRAR has a purpose. In the past, admissions officers had to enter information from transcripts into their system, which was a cumbersome process that took time away from reviewing applications and making decisions.

“The introduction of the SRAR has flipped this process so that students are entering their own high school academic information, which frees up our admissions officers to conduct evaluations,” he said.

Duerr and Byus also mentioned that the introduction of widespread test optional policies in light of COVID, the rising costs of college, shifting demographics, and the alternative path of online colleges have changed the admissions process even in just the last few cycles. 

And when they aren’t reading applications, admissions officers aren’t taking time off, with plenty of responsibilities beyond their most obvious role. They meet with prospective students and work with student tour guides. Vorbach collaborates with Penn State’s athletic department to recruit student athletes and works on initiatives to support student retention rates.

“Getting students excited about the application process is just as important as the process itself,” said Duerr and Byus, referencing their role in getting the word out about Pitt and facilitating on-campus visits.

They also emphasized the importance of students finding the right fit for them and the place for admissions officers in that process.

“Of course it’s always exciting when I find students who love Pitt,” they said. “But, if someone hears about Pitt and doesn’t love it, that still helps them find what’s best for them, because it helps them to narrow their search a little more.”

Needless to say, the job comes with plenty of pressure. As Duerr put it, “I get to help young people make one of the most important decisions they will ever make.”

Vorbach said that working with a team helps him handle the stress of handling such weighty decisions.  

And nowhere is this pressure more apparent than on decision day, which holds excitement and stress for both students and admissions officers. 

With Pitt’s process of rolling admissions, Duerr and Byus hear back from students and parents almost constantly.

“We certainly get positive feedback and we live for and share those moments with the whole team. They really carry us through!” they said.

But when decisions don’t turn out as some students hoped, it’s also the job of admissions officers to listen and offer guidance. 

“We understand their feelings, and give them space to vent those feelings and feel heard,” explained Duerr and Byus. “Then, if they’re interested, we can give them next steps and options to move forward from there.”

Vorbach added, “Working with disappointed parents and students, although not fun, is a part of the job, and needs to be handled with care and understanding. Even when we’re unable to offer a student admission to their first-choice campus ormajor, there are often other options and opportunities available to get the student what they want, and it’s my job to inform and educate these students on these opportunities.”

Duerr and Byus acknowledged that admissions officers sometimes can’t fulfill the wishes of all students.

“We do our best, but we just can’t make every dream come true for every student that applies to Pitt,” they said, though still maintaining hope that students will find the path meant for them in the end. 

Vorbach, Duerr, and Byus all emphasized how meaningful they find their work.

“Getting to be a part of [a student’s] journey and making an impact in their [life] is one of the most rewarding parts of working in admissions,” Vorbach said.

Duerr, who serves as Pitt’s Associate Director of Admissions, echoed this sentiment.

“On many occasions I see them and their families as they begin the process as early as 10th grade and then have them thank me when they finish their senior year and graduate from Pitt,” he said. “It is truly a rewarding profession.”

For students who are still working on applications, these admissions officers have plenty of advice, addressing the “red flags” they come across when evaluating students.

Pullquote Photo

Some students get so caught up in the admissions process that they forget to slow down and enjoy the moment.

— Justin Vorbach, Penn State Admissions Officer

For Pitt’s admissions officers, multiple bad grades on a transcript generally signal that a student will struggle with the academic rigor at the university. However, Duerr and Byus revealed that typos in a college essay actually aren’t held against a student.

“We know they’re applying to multiple schools and things can be missed,” they said. 

Vorbach said that, at Penn State, strong academic performance is paramount to getting an acceptance, and he warns against students waiting until the last minute to apply, as options become more limited later in the admissions cycle.

Duerr and Byus added that, at Pitt, they’re looking for students who not only challenge themselves academically but who also have something special to bring to the community.

“Don’t tell us what you think we want to hear. Tell us the story you want to tell,” they said. “It could be a story we’ve never read before.”

But notice that when asked for advice about the application process, none of the admissions officers said to rigorously prepare for interviews or comb through essays for hours. In fact, they encouraged students to focus on their own wellbeing and not get consumed by the stress of the season. 

Duerr and Byus emphasized the importance of taking breaks and not spending the whole process wrought with anxiety, and Vorbach said that students should enjoy their senior year. 

“Some students get so caught up in the admissions process that they forget to slow down and enjoy the moment,” he said. “A lot of great things happen during senior year in high school, and it’s important to take advantage and enjoy them.”