In Memory of Mr. Winkworth

NHS honors a teacher and coach whose influence lives on

Stefan Bordeianu, Community Editor

In memory of Ingomar Middle School teacher and coach David Winkworth, who died on December 4th, 2017, the NASH National Honor Society will be selling bracelets to benefit the Winkworth Family Memorial Scholarship Fund. The fund will help Mr. Winkworth’s children Jake, Chloe, and Ben to help pay for their furthered education.

NHS members will be selling bracelets every day this week during every lunch period. One bracelet costs $2, and three cost $5.

Winkworth was a beloved physical education teacher and role model whose influence on students remains strong even years after they had him for class.

“Even if you never had Mr. Winkworth as a teacher, you still learned from him almost every gym class,” Anna Barton said. “He was always smiling in the gym, teaching not only fitness but life in general. Every kid wished to have him as a teacher, so my siblings and I are blessed to have that privilege.”

Freshman basketball player Garrett Hrvoich reflected on his time under Winkworth’s leadership. “I have many fond memories of Coach Winkworth,” he said. “I am so honored to have his guidance as a coach, which helped me reach the point where I am today with basketball. He was a very dedicated and caring individual not only to me, but to everyone. I will miss him greatly.”

James Tolan, another basketball player, had similar feelings about the influential teacher and coach. “I always looked forward to having Mr. Winkworth as my basketball coach,” Tolan said. “He made my 8th grade basketball season great.”

Bracelets will also be sold at NAI and Ingomar Middle School.