Virtual Reality comes to NASH

The Metaverse is real, and students and teachers will soon be clamoring for the experience.

photo by Claire Majerac

The Trophy Room on NASH’s first floor will soon undergo a 21st century transformation.

The district announced plans on Friday that the first-floor trophy room—in the southeast corner of the building, next to the cafeteria—will be converted into a virtual reality studio over the summer, to be enjoyed by students and staff during the 2022-23 school year. Construction will be completed in late June through July, so as to not disturb normal school activities.

“I think it’s a really interesting addition,” said junior Lena Dershowitz. “I’m excited to check it out next year!”

Students who have been at NA for a while may be slightly surprised at the news, but because technology has long been integrated into the district, for many it doesn’t feel like a monumental shift.

“This is the next natural step to enhance the education for our students,” said NASH Technology Analyst Arlene Matthews, who is spearheading the project. 

A grant from Playstation has made the project possible, though the district announced it would have to significantly reduce the funds in next year’s budget available for HVAC repairs to keep up with maintenance for the space. Splitting the cost with the company, the district is allocating $4.2 million for the project. The money is also paying for 30 VR headsets, each of which will proudly bear a black and gold tiger paw. But because of safety concerns, any student or staff member interested in using the studio will have to sign a waiver before donning one.

This is the next natural step to enhance the education for our students.

— Arlene Matthews, NASH Technology Analyst

“In the first few trial runs we’ve had, kids kept running into the glass,” remarked Patty Clark, an assistant in the Nurse’s Office. “I’ve never treated this many minor head injuries in such a short span of time before.”

When looking for a space to house the addition, the trophy room—which many admit has not been utilized ever since the trophies were removed—seemed like a natural fit.

“We really liked the natural light coming in and its location in the building,” said Project Manager Mariam Parker. “Plus, if a parent wanders by, they’ll be able to see how we’re really making an effort to invest in a well-rounded, cutting edge education for their kids.”

Teachers will have to reserve the studio in advance if they’d like to use it for an upcoming lesson. The NASH Administration encouraged anyone interested to sign up early, as spots are expected to run out quickly.

American History teacher Mr. Davison expressed his excitement at the prospect of immersing his students in American history.

“Imagine crossing the Delaware right next to virtual reality George Washington, or scrambling to open a virtual reality window during the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire! Truly American history come alive,” he said, also noting that he expects to see test scores notably improve with the introduction of the new technology.

Plans for the renovation of the Trophy Room include replacing the triangular “North Allegheny Hall of Fame” crest with an octagonal “Welcome to the Metaverse” plaque. photo by Claire Majerac

However, not all teachers are as enthusiastic about the addition.

“I will happily stay in my room and work through my 2D slideshows,” said history teacher Mr. Patton, who was later spotted looking at virtual reality headsets on Amazon while his students were taking a test.

Teachers from the Music Department said that they intend to send any student who forgets their instrument to the studio to practice with a virtual one. The Physical Education Department has plans in the works to take the rock climbing unit into virtual reality next school year, though Coach Saffitz was disappointed to learn that the district does not plan on investing in waterproof VR equipment for use in the pool.

“I was really looking to enhance our Boating and Water Safety lessons with some virtual reality. I think a Titanic-like simulation would make the kids take it seriously,” he said.

Environmental Sustainability teacher Mrs. Spencer said that she’s already booked a week-long reservation for the next school year, planning for a project in which students will learn about the ins and outs of forest preservation up close.

Imagine crossing the Delaware right next to virtual reality George Washington, or scrambling to open a virtual reality window during the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire!

— Mr. Davison, NASH History Teacher

“I think all this new technology is pretty cool,” said senior Kelly Knowles, one of Spencer’s students, “but our campus has actual, physical trees. Like, I understand where everyone’s coming from. But we do very much have real, non-virtual trees available to us.”

The VR studio is also available for more unconventional uses. The administration announced that any teachers tired of the standard, 2D Tyler SIS interface could input their grades in the new virtual reality grading system, and discussions are underway for students to potentially practice their driving skills using the technology.

Clubs are encouraged to utilize the studio as well. Speech and Debate is looking to use the technology to simulate rounds, and Key Club President Jeremy Thompson looks forward to opening up the space for club members looking to keep up with the required number of hours.

“There are plenty of charities that need volunteers in the virtual world!” he said.

As construction in the trophy room starts up, most students and staff members are optimistic about the addition.

“The district has had this in the works for quite some time,” said Director Alicia Beth Moore. “We really think it’s the best way to prepare students for success in a changing world.”

____________________

Editors’ Note (as of 4pm, Apr 1): As the dateline indicates, this article was published on April Fools’ Day.  The story described in this article is entirely fictitious and was intended merely as a joke.