10 Local Ways to Cure Summer Boredom

The summer months serve as one of the few times in Pittsburgh where the weather is genuinely nice outside, so it is important to take advantage of some of the local fun the city has to offer.

Camryn Gray, Staff Writer

The summer months are quickly approaching, which means that boredom may soon follow. It is understandable to relish a long break from school, but it is evident that students will eventually face painfully long hours with nothing special to do. The list of activities below include things that will not only cure summer’s boredom but also allow teenagers to have some local fun.

A local summer attraction in the month of June in downtown Pittsburgh is the Arts Festival. The idea of attending an arts festival may not sound enjoyable to some, but the Pittsburgh Arts Festival has more than just art. Live music also occurs at the festival. The arts festival is located at Dollar Bank main stage on 9th street, and the hours are 12:00 pm to 9:00. The Dollar Bank Three Rivers Arts Festival begins on June 3, 2022 and ends on June 12, 2022.

The Mattress Factory in downtown Pittsburgh has many interesting exhibits, filled with unique wallpapers, mirrors, and far more. The place is perfect for taking pictures for social media or a possible location for graduation pictures. 

It may be no secret that the Pittsburgh Pirates are not the best performing team in the MLB, but PNC Park does have recognition as one of the best venues in all of baseball. The park offers a panorama of the city from the stands. A Pirates game can be a great summer activity over the summer with friends or family.

The Strip District, also located downtown, is filled with many markets to have summer fun. The stores vary from Pittsburgh merchandise to fresh food markets. The Strip District is consistently listed on various travel websites as one of the top things to do in Pittsburgh.  

Summer is also a great time to attend a concert at one of Pittsburgh’s many music venues. There are many artists of all genres coming to the city varying from Shawn Mendes to New Kids on the Block. The list of all artists visiting Pittsburgh on their 2022 summer tours can be found here.

A well-known activity to do on Independence Day is to view the fireworks over the river in downtown Pittsburgh. The fireworks in the city have been an annual tradition for years and always bring about a fun and stress-free time with friends and family.

Arguably the most popular local summer attractions are Kennywood and Sandcastle. Kennywood is Pittsburgh’s most famous amusement park, and Sandcastle is a popular water park. The time can fly when spending a warm summer day at either or both of these local landmarks.

Phipps Conservatory is a great summer destination to visit in Oakland. The floral-filled exhibit changes per season, so there is always something new to see. Phipps Conservatory, like The Mattress Factory, can serve as a great place to take photos.  

Pittsburgh also has a great restaurant scene, of course.  However, ordering take out from one of Pittsburgh’s best restaurants and having a picnic at the Point State Park fountain makes a great summer activity. 

The end of the summer season also has another famous Pittsburgh festival, although not as conventional as some of the other festivals. Picklesburgh occurs in late August, which means that North Allegheny students will already be in school. The festival dates are not released as of now, but after the first day of school or two, students (and pickle lovers) can visit to end summer on a fun note. The festival consists of food, music, competitions, and obviously pickles.

The ten activities above serve as a great way to get out of summer boredom and explore the city. We all enjoy time off from school, but that time does not have to be spent binge-watching the new seasons of Stranger Things and Outer Banks for days on end.