5 Things I’m Going to Miss about Pittsburgh

An homage to a small city with a big heart

photo by Sally Cho

The sun setting over the Cathedral of Learning on Flagstaff Hill.

Sally Cho, Co-Editor-in-Chief

All my life, I’ve been looking forward to leaving Pittsburgh. I always felt it was too small for me, and I could not wait to explore and experience other places. 

In August, my wishes will come true, and I will be living in a much bigger city that is a seven-hour car ride away. However, as I’ve been reflecting on my life as a soon-to-be graduate, I have realized there are actually many things I’m going to miss about Pittsburgh and that it will always hold a special place in my heart. Here are just some of the things I am going to miss most.

1. PNC Park

PNC Park is known as one of the most beautiful baseball stadiums in the country, and I couldn’t agree more with that statement. The view of the Pittsburgh skyline from the park cannot be beat, especially during sunset. I am at my most peaceful when I am sitting in the 300’s along the third baseline, watching the sunset with a nice breeze on my face, with Dippin’ Dots in my hand. The sense of community I feel there is also unlike any other place. We all know the Pirates will probably not make the playofs, but we show up regardless for the games with a little bit of hope. I especially admire the people who dress as Pirates and stand on the rotunda waving a flag. Additionally, the pierogi race is a unique Pittsburgh tradition that cannot be experienced anywhere else. Sure, other baseball stadiums have their own version of it, but do they use pierogi mascots? No. I love you always, Cheese Chester.

2. Oakland

Watching the sun set over the Cathedral of Learning from Flagstaff Hill with boba in my hand is another time when I am at my most peaceful. The walk from the boba shop to the hill is filled with sounds of laughter from college students, the smell of food coming from the stands at Schenley Plaza, and sometimes, sounds of live music or a comedy set from the plaza. The walk across the bridge lined with locks is scenic, and just to the side of Flagstaff Hill is the gorgeous Phipps Conservatory. Go further past the hill, and you’re in Schenley Park, one of the most beautiful parks in Pittsburgh. This little section of Pittsburgh has my heart.

3. Everyday Noodles

Along Forbes Ave in Squirrel Hill is a tiny restaurant called Everyday Noodles. My friend group and I have been terrorizing this place since eighth grade, showing up on a biweekly basis, spending at least $90 as a group every time. This place has the best soup dumplings I have ever tasted in my entire life. They make everything from scratch, and customers can even watch the chefs making the dumplings and noodles from the other side of the counter. I’ve had multiple birthday dinners and Friendsgivings there, and it has never disappointed me. Sure, there are other restaurants with soup dumplings and noodles all over the world, but I highly doubt any of them will beat Everyday Noodles.

4. The I-79 Drive Downtown

When my aforementioned friend group and I make the trip to the city for Everyday Noodles or other treats such as bubble tea, we drive down I-79 with the windows down, blasting our favorite songs at top volume and singing our hearts out. The long stretch of road provides ample time and the best vibes for jamming out with friends. In the fall, the trees along the highway turn beautiful colors, providing a scenic view. When the city skyline comes into view as we come out from under the Veterans Bridge exit, it never disappoints. 

5. Eat ‘N’ Park

I’m not really a huge fan of the food at Eat ‘N’ Park, but the nostalgia, memories, and vibes that come with it I will surely miss. I’ve had so many memories there, from 11 PM cast dinners to weekend breakfasts with friends. Wherever you are in Pittsburgh, there’s always an Eat ‘N’ Park, and you know it’s a reliable option that will never fail. From Smiley cookies to the grand return of the salad bar after COVID, Eat ‘N’ Park will always be a place of nostalgia for me.

There are certainly more than five things I will miss about Pittsburgh, but they are hard to describe in the form of a list.

Pittsburgh has the feel of a small town with the benefits of a big city. We have three different major sports teams, and the whole city rallies around them, forming a community. 

Tours often stop here, we have amazing museums, and we have multiple universities, as if we are a big city, and yet, the city has such distinct characteristics and inside jokes, such as the “Pittsburgh left” or parking chairs. The city also has many unique neighborhoods with their own special features–Lawrenceville, The Strip District, Brookline, etc. There is something for everyone here.

No matter where I end up in life, I will always look back on Pittsburgh fondly, the small city with a big heart.