Good Talk: Officer Yeaney

Meet the new NASH School Resource Officer whose interests outside of work may surprise you!

Officer+Yeaney+is+ready+and+eager+to+begin+his+first+year+at+NASH.+

Kat Klinefelter

Officer Yeaney is ready and eager to begin his first year at NASH.

Kate Gilliland, Opinions Editor

What is the most stressful part of being a school resource officer? 

The most stressful part of is focusing your energy on what you should be concerned about. You end up accomplishing less than you would like if you do not prioritize your efforts.

Why did you choose to become a school resource officer?

Several reasons. It is a new challenge, I think I can do a good job, and NASH is a great place to work! Also, I believe our students are the future and we need everyone to succeed.  

During the meeting at the beginning of the year, you mentioned you had some “nerdy” interests. What are some of those and how did you get into them? 

I have played RPG video games since I was a child and would consider the “Dark Souls” games my all-time favorite. The past couple years, I have been YouTubing Magic the Gathering content — the game’s art and themes are awesome. Although I don’t watch much TV outside of sports, I binged the Netflix series Dorohedoro and bought the first manga. Let me know if you have any other recommendations!

How did you become a police officer? 

I have always felt that it was a job that fit my skills and personality. It is also a great job that usually doesn’t require a degree in a specific course of study.

Where did you go to college and what was your major?

I completed my B.S. in Crime, Law, and Justice at Penn State, University Park and my M.A. in Business and Organizational Security Management from Webster University in St. Louis, MO.

What difference do you want to make at NASH? 

I just hope to enhance the student experience here. I have been surprised how the majority of our students conduct themselves respectfully and humbly but are also confident in their skills and potential. Remember to enjoy the journey and not just the destination.

Outside of work, what hobbies do you enjoy with family or friends? 

Most sports, cooking and BBQ, very basic carpentry, basic gardening. I have also spent more time both learning and failing at proper lawn care than I would like to admit.

How long have you been a police officer? 

Eight years in total — four in the City of Pittsburgh and four with the Town of McCandless.

Have you lived or worked anywhere other than the Pittsburgh area? 

I lived in four different states in the Army (KY, TN, MO, NY) and deployed to both Iraq and Afghanistan. I also started my work experience in high school with the stellar Country Fair convenience stores of Erie, PA.

What was your high school experience like? 

I went to an entirely male, Catholic high school in Erie, PA. It was a great experience, and for the area, the best education you can find. Taking AP courses helped to keep my college career to four years, especially because I added ROTC classes to my schedule.

What are your responsibilities as the new school resource officer? 

First and foremost, the safety of everyone at NASH. Secondly, to be an accurate example of what a police officer can and should be.