Comfortably Relevant

Pink Floyd’s unique and lasting influence on rock deserves a retrospective

Thorgerson and Hipgnosis for Harvest Records

Nick Giorgetti, Politics Editor

When one thinks of the English progressive rock band Pink Floyd, they typically think of the trippy, hallucinogenic rainbow prism on the cover of Dark Side of the Moon.  Pink Floyd’s impact on music is undeniably profound.  It’s no understatement to say that the band pushed music to evolve.   Given that Syd Barrett would have turned 72 over the weekend, it is fitting to analyze the founding of Pink Floyd, their music, and their lasting influence.

Fifty years ago, their debut studio album, Piper at the Gates of Dawn, was released.  It is revered as one of the greatest psychedelic rock albums ever produced.   The band was progressive, experimental with their musicality, lyrics, and performances– and Piper was only the beginning.  Over the next twelve years, Floyd would produce Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, and The Wall— three of the greatest rock albums ever produced.  Let’s dive into these three albums.

Dark Side of the Moon is a beautifully depressive, pensive masterpiece that illustrates some of the darkest and most pondered themes of life– war, conflict, greed, life, and mental madness. The album is still ranked by Rolling Stone as the 43rd best album ever, and it remains well listened to by classical rock loving teens.

The album is a tribute to their founding member Syd Barrett, who suffered a mental breakdown during the time and was one of the great pioneering musicians of the 60’s and 70’s — another Icarus who flew too high and fell.

The members of Pink Floyd used this mental loss of their friend to write about life, insanity, and what drives people mad and into conflict.  Dark Side of the Moon starts with a heart beat, the clinking sounds of cash registers, clocks, and manic yelling that segues into a spacy guitar riff and melodic vocals.  Other interesting songs on the album include “Great Gig in the Sky,” a song with only piano, drums, organ and wailing vocals, a really unique song that grows on the listener; “Money,” a rock song interestingly in ⅞ time signature; and “Us and Them,” a vast, expansive song with jazz blues roots, and incendiary saxophone solos.  The album ends with “Eclipse” and a fading heartbeat signifying an end to the madness of life with death.

Fast forward a mere two years later and Pink Floyd would release Wish you Were Here, another tribute to Barrett.   “Shine on You Crazy Diamonds parts I-IX”  is a 26-minute tribute to the founding member who was unable to contribute but not forgotten.  This album is another masterpiece because of its dynamite instrumentation and lyrics, but also because of its many interpretations.  The album cover features two businessmen, one on fire, shaking hands making a dishonest business deal, representing the manipulation and greed of the music industry.  In addition, the album touches on how we deal with emotions.  Whether it dwells on the loss of a loved one, or a deteriorating relationship, or how we cope with emotions, Wish You Were Here remains an album that evokes contemplation on our own lives.

Four years later in 1979, still at their apex of fame and musicality, Floyd produced the smash hit rock opera double album The Wall.  The story the album imparts to the listener is that of “Pink,” a man modeled after Roger Waters and Barrett who is plagued with hardships in life that force him into isolation from society.

Even though The Who created and mastered the rock opera, man did Pink Floyd create one of the most monumental rock operas and double albums ever produced.  It’s best known songs are “Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2,” and “Comfortably Numb.”   The Wall went on to win two Grammys and was turned into a movie.  It is still a jewel of the 70’s progressive rock movement, remains a favorite among fans, and is one of the best albums to listen to and connect to if you are overcome by depressing feelings.

Pink Floyd is truly a timeless band whose music can and should be enjoyed and appreciated by all.  They experimented with synthesizers, time signatures, song structures, and the metaphysical themes of life, pushing the sound of rock to develop.  They fought with each other over personal grudges, control, and creative differences, but that just made them better, pushing one another to create beautiful music. They remain one of the greatest sounds of the progressive rock movement, along with Yes, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Rush, King Crimson, and Genesis.

I asked senior student, legend, and die hard Pink Floyd fan,  Shane Stewart, why does Pink Floyd remain such an epic band?

“I think what made Pink Floyd such a classic band is how it was really like a few different bands, all with the same name and mostly the same members,” he said. “The band’s start with Syd Barrett and the psychedelic stuff would have made it historic, even if they broke up right then.

“But instead, it continued to grow and change,” Stewart continued. “Syd’s departure (by force) left them in search of a leader, which made the music a bit nasty for a while, but it also brought in Dave Gilmour and his legendary guitar.  And after a couple of years of transition, Roger Waters took over and that’s when the classic-est ones were made, peaking in The Wall, which I think is the greatest album of all time.  What an amazing band.”

What an amazing band, indeed.  Next time you roll your eyes at dad for playing Pink Floyd and other “dad music,” remember their story and how truly talented they are.  I advise that, if you’re happy, listen to Pink Floyd, and if you are feeling pensive, listen to Pink Floyd. If you have angst, fear, depression– you really should listen to Pink Floyd.