Building the Black Student Union

The newly-formed BSU looks to form connections not only at NASH but throughout the district.

Isha George

Lamees Subeir (left), Char’Tise Cooks (center), and Elise Britton (right), founders of the Black Student Union, meet in the NASH Library to arrange plans for the year.

Isha George, Staff Writer

The Black Student Union, or BSU, is join the roster of NASH clubs this year. Headed by seniors Elise Britton, Chartise Cooks and Lamees Subeir, the BSU was founded on the three students’ wish to see more conversation, awareness, and diversity of African-American culture in the school.

“Its significance is that it is a place for others like me to express these same frustrations in a safe environment,” Britton said.

As with the formation of any new club, there are challenges, especially when it comes to defining the organization’s identity, The founders emphasized the need to give the club its own entity, especially out of respect for the already existing clubs, such as Multicultural Student Union, that have a similar mission.

“We hope to allow people to better understand what Black culture represents… and what we stand for as Black people,” Cooks said.

Such goals require equally ambitious plans of action, but the club leaders are already at work arranging a productive first year, which aims to include younger children within the district as well.

“We will have consistent meetings and events, expanding and working with the middle schools to implement the Big Brother, Big Sister Program,” Cooks stated.

Britton said she sees a need for younger students to have the access to and experience the joy of mentors who have been where they are. Other plans still in the works may include forum conversations about Black issues as well as fundraising for Black organizations.

While the organization is focused on Black voices, there is also the hope that it will be a safe space, fostering an environment where all students can freely learn about Black culture.

“I never want someone to feel not included just because of their skin color,” Cooks said. 

As excited as the founders of BSU are to bring the heart of the organization to light this year, their vision extends further.

I plan to keep this group going for years to come,” Cooks said. 

The Black Student Union meets on a biweekly basis in Mrs. Volpe’s room (322) on Mondays and Wednesdays. The best ways to get in touch or to get involved are to reach out to Britton, Cooks, or Subeir, or club advisors Ms. Hinton ([email protected]) and Ms. Volpe ([email protected]).