Dreams of a New NASH

NASH seniors share what they would like to see change in a possible renovation or reconstruction of NASH.

Kat Klinefelter

The exterior of NASH has remained largely unchanged since 1972.

Libby Heckert, Staff Writer

Built in 1974, North Allegheny Senior High School has been the source of countless teenage memories over its nearly five decades of existence. In that time, the school district has renovated Newman Stadium, the Baierl Center, the auditorium, and the gymnasium, in addition to other areas.

But it may soon be time for a major overhaul.

North Allegheny is currently exploring the feasibility of a full-scale renovation to the Senior High School, with the possibility of constructing an entirely new building. If approved, these improvements will not begin for several years and are estimated to cost up to $30 million. 

Although North Allegheny has constantly updated the technology at NASH, many seniors believe that a major renovation or new construction would positively received.

NASH senior Sophia Huwar, who has been on the swim team for the past four years, has concerns about the swimming pool.

“The pool is so outdated. There are broken tiles, and it is just not up to the standards of the other pools at high schools where we swim,” Huwar said.

Other students, like senior Libby Herne, look forward to the structural changes a new high school would bring.

“More green spaces would be nice. I loved the courtyards at NAI, where we could collaborate outside. At least having a place to eat lunch outside would be a great way for us to get fresh air because we can’t see outside for most of the day,” Herne stated.

Senior Sarah Renninger expressed a negative opinion of the multi-purpose cafeteria area that welcomes students to NASH.

“I think we just need to change where the front entrance is. When anyone walks into the school they walk right into the cafeteria. At other schools, there is typically a nice greeting area,” Renninger said.

Senior Neha Rajesh also commented on the layout of the cafeteria. 

“The booths take up so much needed room in the cafeteria. More tables in their place would give more room to spread out and eat,” Rajesh said. 

Other students want to see changes in NASH classrooms as well. Senior Emma Swanson would like the new building to have quieter instructional spaces.

“The classrooms are very noisy and echoey. You can hear the classroom right next to you through the walls, so it is hard to concentrate,” Swanson stated.

I think it would be a good idea to install more welcoming spaces for projects, homework, and group discussions, especially for clubs.

— Srishti Raviprakash, NASH senior

Senior Srishti Raviprakash would like to see more versatile study spaces around an updated NASH. 

“In colleges, they have different places where you can work on projects, homework, and group discussions. I think it would be a good idea to install more welcoming spaces for that purpose, especially for clubs,” she said.

For Renninger, an additional focus should be placed on the campus itself.

“I think it would be a great idea to put at least one or two more entrances and exits to the school,” she said. “It would make getting in and out of the school so much easier.”

Even though they will not be here to experience a potentially new NASH, the Class of ’23 nevertheless looks forward to what may come.

“It would be cool to come back and see a place where I made so many memories but with an entirely new look,” senior Olivia Krieger said.