Beard to Beard

February fundraiser scraps the razor to benefit children in grief

Katelyn Steigerwald, Junior Class Editor

Heard of Movember, Decembeard, or Manuary? Well, then you’re probably familiar with NASH’s Facial Hair February. This annual fundraiser gives both students and staff the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of children from around Pittsburgh who are grieving.

Twelve years ago, founder Mr. Mooney took a tour of The Caring Place, a facility implemented by Highmark and Fred Rogers to lend a hand to grieving children and their families. This one visit kickstarted a movement throughout the building, resulting in a reoccurring tradition that the Senior High looks forward to year after year.

“To offer this kind of support is what I think we are charged with as human beings,” Mooney said, “to demonstrate compassion for conditions we don’t experience or necessarily understand.”

The Caring Place initiative took hold of the Pittsburgh area in 1996 and has since grown to provide support at many different locations across Pennsylvania. Cost-free peer programs, education, and referral services furnish limitless possibilities for children devastated by loss.

All February long, NASH teachers pledge to go razorless if they reach a target goal of money raised by their students and friends. The result?  Cash for a good cause. Mooney plans to further incentivize participation by raffling prizes from local, national, and even international businesses.

Over its twelve years, the event has grown immensely. The number of participating teachers grows annually, as does the number of prize contributions from businesses, and Mooney recently received word from Marshall Middle School that their building is interested in joining forces.  Through the help of student ambassadors Vittoria LaRosa and Yulia Yatsenko, Mooney is all set for another successful year.

“This doesn’t sustain itself with just one person,” the English teacher said. “It really relies on building a culture and awareness.  NASH is the kind of school that makes a thing like Facial Hair February possible.”

There are many ways that students can get involved. Donating money to participating staff members is much-appreciated, Mooney said. However, male students can help by acquiring a female student sponsor and becoming an official participant. For more information, visit Mr. Mooney in Room 233.

The ruggedness starts Thursday.