Opinion: The Pros and Cons of Academic Pressure

The stress is real for many students, but a healthy extracurricular life and sound time-management practices can help.

Isha George, Staff Writer

From an early age, North Allegheny imposes on its students a simple yet often overwhelming mindset: that we must strive for excellence in everything we do. For the most part, NA students strive to embody that ideal.

But between school, extracurriculars, friends, and countless other things, time management plays a key role in maintaining a balanced life. Without learning how to maximize your time, it is easy to become overwhelmed.

In the short time, I have spent at NASH, I have felt a different kind of environment here, one that unintentionally emphasizes effort over students’ mental health. In fact, I’ve seen it as a testament to the resilience of the school’s students that so many are able to be so positive. 

The variety of clubs, activities, and rigorous classes at NASH are able to keep even the most casual student quite busy. For juniors and seniors alike, however, the perhaps the most stressful conversation in recent weeks has centered on college plans. Many seniors debated the pros and cons of their choices and rushed to get their transcripts in for early decision deadlines. Following the chatter of the class of 2023, juniors are spending their time making careful plans for their next steps.

Over the last couple of weeks, with the buzz of college representative visits, applications, and standardized tests, I have heard many many tales of the little hitches that come along with planning out your future at the young age of 17. It is a daunting process

College tours are scheduled amid our busy academic and extracurricular lives, as emails about new schools to consider stream in almost daily. It can be overwhelming, but our access to these resources is a privilege.  For all its pressure, the NASH experience can give us an advantage. It’s therefore important, especially for juniors after a grueling first quarter, to remember to keep your head up and keep your health in check. 

Since the beginning of the school year, an array of NASH clubs have held their first meetings, and the people partaking in these activities have learned not only how to manage their time but also how to make the most of high school. After all, managing numerous opportunities and responsibilities can be seen as an incredibly effective way to develop real-world skills. 

Burnout, fatigue, bad days, and illness are all a part of the high school experience. But so too are great days, kind friends, and unforgettable memories.  When I see friends, classmates, and even teachers battle and back from so many setbacks, I can’t help but feel motivated and inspired myself.