Follow His Lead

NASH senior and StuCo President David Shi leads a busy life, but even he knows where to draw the line.

Kat Klinefelter, Multimedia Editor

What does being Student Council President mean to you?

I really have fun doing it, and it’s been so incredible being able to just interact with so many people and so many more people than I could before. 

Can you play any instruments?

I play the cello, and I am in the Three Rivers Young Peoples Orchestra. We have rehearsals every week and just got done with our concert at Carnegie Hall. It was really fun and we played some difficult songs. My favorite piece to play, ever, has been “O Mio Babbino Caro” by Puccini. We played that, not for YPO, but for school, and it was amazing because I love the song so much and I actually got the solo for it. William [Sun] and Karina [Lin] sat in front of me as violinists, and we all had a solo together.

What is your favorite movie?

It’s really embarrassing, but Avengers: Endgame. I know it’s not the best movie, but I just grew up watching Marvel with my family. It was really incredible seeing all of them coming together. 

Where do you hope to go to college and what for?

Right now I’m not too sure where I’m going to college, but I do know that I’m going to major in computer science. Some of the colleges I applied to don’t require a major declaration until the end of your sophomore year, which is really nice. Computer science is my top major choice because of how easy it is to go into other fields. If I had a change of mind in what I wanted to pursue, I wouldn’t have to throw away any of my computer science knowledge. 

What celebrity would you like to play you in a movie?

Ryan Gosling. No comment. 

What is the worst advice you could give someone about NASH?

Take every single AP. Do swimming and water polo and track and don’t sleep. 

Would you rather dye your hair pink again or read Moby-Dick?

I would definitely consider dying my hair pink again. I am no stranger to a bald head, if I struggle with pink hair, I would just shave my head. 

What is your Starbucks order?

It would probably be a peppermint mocha. I’m a mocha fan, but not white chocolate mocha because it’s expensive. During the fall, I had the chai with pumpkin cream cold foam and that was really good.