Here Comes the Sun

Senior William Sun’s strong committment to academics has resulted in an acceptance to Yale University.

Andrew McLaughlin, Co-Editor-in-Chief

At what age did you start learning violin, and what organizations do you participate in now?

I first started playing violin with everyone else through the elementary orchestra program in third grade. I remember taking out my first violin and playing “Pepperoni Pizza” all those years ago, but right now I participate in the Pittsburgh Youth Symphony Orchestra, which is the main source of time for me. I also do a quartet through the Youth Chamber Connection, which is an organization affiliated with both the Pittsburgh Symphony and the Three Rivers Young People’s Orchestra. And I’m part of the Montgomery Fellowship Quartet, which is organized through Chamber Music Pittsburgh. I also do a quartet here at NA with some of the people who are in orchestra. 

How do you feel about getting into Yale, and what are you studying?

I’m very excited because it was definitely my first choice. In terms of what I’m going to study, I selected Global Affairs as my intended major because that’s just something that has interested me throughout high school, and Yale has a new school opening up dedicated to Global Affairs, which was a big draw for me as well. And going along with the music point, I’m excited to continue pursuing music at Yale as well. 

What made you get involved in DECA?

The first time I learned about DECA was when I was coming home from AP Calc in ninth grade on the bus. I heard some of the 10th graders talk about their involvement in DECA, like Hannah Shin, who was both our NA president and state president last year. One day I asked her to explain to me what DECA was, which kind of sparked my interest in it, but I still wasn’t super certain that I would pursue it. And then in tenth grade, when we were all virtual, I saw on Blackboard something had been posted for DECA. I thought it would be a cool thing to try out just because I wanted to expand my horizons.

What has been your greatest memory of North Allegheny?

There’s a ton. Just one of my greatest memories involves National Academic League in middle school when I was carried on the shoulders of my team from the library to the cafeteria after we won the national semifinals. We won by one math question that fell on me. That was a really cool experience, and then we went on to win the national finals. 

Do you have any hobbies?

I definitely enjoy going outdoors. I try to do biking, rowing, and running in my free time.

What has been your favorite class in high school?

Right now I feel like my favorite class is probably Organic Chemistry because it’s something that’s challenging, but it also encourages you to think outside of the box in terms of answering difficult problems. 

Do you have any goals for life?

In general, my dream is to go on to pursue a career in law, and that’s something that has kind of stuck with me since middle school, but other than that I’m not too sure. I definitely want to continue making music of some kind. I’m hoping I can continue with all the interests I currently have. 

What is your favorite type of music?

Mostly I listen to classical, but I also really enjoy electronic music.

What fictional character would you be best friends with?

I would like to be friends with Chewbacca because he seems like he’s a good person to hang out with. 

Have you self-studied for any AP tests?

Yes, I self-studied for the AP Physics C Mechanics and EM tests, which I both got fives on. 

Do you have any advice for juniors about the college application process?

I know everyone says this, but get everything done early. Once school starts, you’re going to find it harder and harder to manage your time and still focus on your college apps. I think the main thing is just not only start early, but do a little every day, and just make sure you know what you’re doing. Have a plan for what you’re going to do that day, what area of your application, you’re going to work on, and just add a little bit every day. And don’t rush yourself in terms of thinking about essays because many of those essays just require you to think about yourself first. I think thinking about the prompt is sometimes more important than writing. 

How was your experience been with Junior Classical League?

It’s been a long ride since I started in eighth grade. Originally, it was just kind of a way for me to have fun and also have a club that I could do with my brother who was in 12th grade at the time. We’ve had a kind of a rough couple of years with Covid because we haven’t had any in-person meetings. But now that the new year has started, it’s really been a wonderful experience.

If you could have dinner with one person, living or deceased, who would it be?

I would have dinner with Mr. Williams, the Marshall Middle GOAL teacher, because I want to catch up with him.