Tuesday Trivia with the BSU

To celebrate Black History Month, the Black Student Union hosted a contest with prizes that grabbed the student body’s attention.

Faith Miller, Staff Writer

Yesterday brought the conclusion to a Black Student Union event that had students excited around the school.

Each Tuesday in February, a question about a Black icon was asked on the morning announcements broadcast. Only students were allowed to answer, and their answers had to be sent by email to social studies teacher Mr. Kodenkandeth. The first person to email the correct answer won a $25 Amazon gift card.

“I thought it was a fun way for students to learn about some influential figures in history,” Kodenkandeth said.

The idea was started by senior Elise Britton, who is one of the co-founders of BSU.

“Chartise Cooks, Lamees Subeir, and I started BSU together with Coach Hinton and Mrs. Volpe late last year, but we’ve had our real kickoff this year,” Britton said.

The BSU trivia event was deliberately scheduled for Black History Month, which has been celebrated since 1915. This year’s contest tested students’ ability to identify four standout figures in American history: Jackie Robinson, Ruby Bridges, August Wilson, and Madam CJ Walker.

Britton was pleased not only to see the competition grab the attention of the student body but also to further promote the work that BSU does throughout the school.

“It’s important to have BSU so that Black students have a safe space and a chance to get to know each other and have their voices heard,” she said.