A Long, Warm Winter

With only one snow day so far this school year, NASH students are beginning to think it’s all they are going to get.

Sarah Klosky, Staff Writer

It is almost unheard of for students who have experienced Pittsburgh winters. One lone snow day.

Anticipating the early-morning phone call declaring a snow day is one of the most enjoyable parts of the school year. While they have never been especially frequent in the Pittsburgh area, most years have provided at least a couple of cancelations to temporarily lift the pressure from students’ shoulders. Snow days often go beyond just a day off from school for many students, offering a mental rest and time to focus on individual needs. 

“I miss the spontaneous snow cancellations throughout the winter months,” NASH junior Bri Nash said. “I like when the school gives us time to stay at home and do the things that are fulfilling to us. That is why Wellness Wednesdays were really beneficial for me.” 

Along with the mental reboot, snow days also allow for physical downtime and time away from a busy-moving school day. 

Snow days are important to senior Grace Yook, who cited “the freedom to rest and relax” as the main advantage.

“I’m able to distribute my time well during snow days and finish school work that I could not complete the day before,” Yook added. 

I’m able to distribute my time well during snow days and finish school work that I could not complete the day before.

— Grace Yook, NASH senior

Although the opportunity for more time is what makes for a perfect snow day amongst many students, some also consider the real safety threat that going to school would present in the midst of inclement weather. 

“I don’t have to worry about having to park at school and drive in dangerous conditions,” junior Megan Heinritz said. “I don’t have to worry about my safety when I am in the comfort of my own home.” 

Particularly for high school students, who are getting ready to transition into their post-secondary plans, snow days are a nostalgic piece of childhood that remind them of simpler times. 

“When I was a lot younger, my family and I started having hot chocolate every morning of a school cancellation,” junior Brady Mensch said. “It was something I would always look forward to each time the school called a cancellation. From there it just became a family tradition.” 

Senior Andrew Cravont also attested to an appreciation for snow days.

“Every snow day, a few of my good friends from the neighborhood and I would go out and sled in my front yard for half of the day,” he said. “I’d be freezing by the time I went back inside, but it was fun.”