Put to the Test

AP Exams are important, but do your research first

Richard Yan, Editor

Second semester is a busy time at North Allegheny. For juniors, you’re entering into what’s probably the single most demanding stretch of high school. For seniors, you’ve finished college apps for the most part, but there’s still plenty to be done.

One thing both grades have to do? Register for AP exams. AP exams are 3-hour tests in May, the culmination of AP, or introductory-level college classes offered in a variety of subjects by the CollegeBoard. Proficient scores are accepted by most colleges for credit and earn respect from admissions officers.

However, that’s all for another time. Simply registering for these exams can prove to be a nerve-racking and wallet-emptying experience in itself. The announced price for 2018 is a hefty $94/test, the usual $1 more than the previous year.

Emily Chen questioned the annual dollar increase, but she also had more to say. “Why doesn’t NA subsidize part of the test cost?” the senior asked. “A lot of other districts like Pine-Richland help pay for some of the test costs, and it sounds really nice.”

Some students are taking upwards of 6-7 tests, for a total commitment of over $600 and 20 hours of test-taking.

“AP test credits are a great way to get ahead before you’re even in college, because you can skip a lot of intro classes and get right to the fun stuff,” Owen Chase said. “Also, the AP tests are significantly cheaper than college credits, so they can save a lot of money in the long run.”

For others, however, the tests are a questionable, even foolish investment.

“I already know what I want to do and I don’t see a point in skipping college classes I’m not even going to take,” Tyler Cipriani said. “$94 is a good deal only if you get something out of it.”

An junior who asked to remain anonymous said, “It feels like a waste taking AP tests in every subject when I don’t even know my college plans yet. I’m sure I won’t be able to redeem all of this credit later on, but I guess it’s better than not having anything at all.”

The exam schedule also plays a role in influencing registrations. From May 7 to 18, 34 exams are administered in two sessions — morning and afternoon. This means students occasionally have to choose one class over another, because they occupy the same window, and then attend an AP makeup day later. Another scenario is the dreaded back-to-back test, up to eight hours in the testing room with only a ten-minute break between tests. In the end, students may just decide Psychology isn’t worth it and focus their time and energy on Chemistry instead.

In the end, however, the decision to register or not often comes down to the class. Staples like Calculus and English Language and Literature consistently attract an sizeable test-taking population, largely because they allow students to bypass required introductory classes in many colleges. On the other hand, exams for more obscure and niche subjects such as European or Art History are taken by a much smaller proportion of students.

Perhaps I could offer a bit of personal advice regarding AP test scheduling. To me, it’s ultimately about finding a balance of effort and reward. Consequently, one of the most helpful things going in is having some idea of what you want in college. Last year, as a junior, I was fairly undecided. As a result, I ended up taking seven AP tests, while only having four AP classes on my schedule. I ended up having a pretty rough testing week, and some of the tests I took don’t even pertain to my major and won’t give me anything useful in college. This year, although I’m taking six AP classes, I’m taking only three or four tests. The difference between this year and last? I know which tests will end up being useful to have and which tests are useless to me. Take some time, do some research, and you’ll be very thankful you did later on.

The final verdict? Register for what you see yourself needing and what you can succeed at. Don’t take tests for the sake of taking tests. $94 for a full class worth of college credit is a great deal, but only if you end up using it. Also, don’t get scammed by the $20 late fee. Register by February 28.

NA students, register for AP tests here.
2018 testing schedule.