Good Talk: Dr. Hyland

Meet NA’s new Superintendent!
photo credit: Isha George

As our new superintendent, what changes would you most like to see implemented at North Allegheny?

North Allegheny is a special place and a leading district in our region, so major changes are not critical. This district has been successful for 75 years and is the best around, in my mind.  I believe the most important thing we can do is to continue to push for and demand excellence in everything we do, build a team atmosphere that always keeps students at the forefront of all decisions that we make, and always know that we can get better.

What do you think is the most positive and least positive part of NASD?

That is an easy one! The most positive things are the students, staff, and families that I get to work with here at NA, period. The students are why we are all here, and they inspire all of the 1,200 employees to bring their best every day. Unfortunately, the most challenging thing is not exclusive to NA; it is everywhere. I would say that the negativity and divisiveness in our society, especially in politics, is an issue. I wish people would look for the good in others and not always focus on what they think is bad.

What is your history with the school district?

I was a principal at NAI from 2008-2018. I am very familiar with the culture of excellence and proud traditions. Trust me, I am partial to the black and gold. I absolutely loved my time there, and we helped make NAI a very respected and admired school.

What made you want to pursue a career in education?

I just knew that I wanted to work with kids.  I knew in 7th grade that I wanted to be a social studies teacher.  My interests in history and political science, along with the desire to work with kids, made teaching the ideal career for me.

Do you have a favorite memory from all your time working in schools?

My favorite was being named the Superintendent of the North Allegheny School District.  It is a sincere honor and a privilege to serve as the leader of this school district.

What qualities do you think make for an excellent teacher in NASD?

I look for three things when I look to recommend a teacher. 1) Does the person love being around students and truly want to make a difference in their lives? 2)Do they know their subject matter and have a passion for it, too? 3) Are they hard working and have a desire to get better, while understanding that perfection as a classroom teacher is impossible to achieve? The notion of always trying to get better for their students is critical for me when selecting a candidate.

What qualities make for a successful student at NASD?

Someone who comes to school every day and gives their best, takes academic risks, and challenges themselves.

What is your favorite childhood memory?

I loved playing sports when I was a kid. I really enjoyed playing games with my friends and teammates.  The competitiveness of sports in my younger days was really something I enjoyed.

What is your biggest fear?

I just want to do everything I possibly can to keep our students and staff safe.  I don’t want to miss a single detail that would preclude me from accomplishing that goal.

On a deserted island, what three things would you bring with you?

Family, a library, and sunscreen.

Do you have a favorite movie? If so, what is it and why is it your favorite?

I really like the movies Good Will Hunting, Moneyball, and The Martian.

If you could be any animal, what would you be and why?

I would like to be an eagle because I would really like to learn how to fly and get a pilot’s license someday.

What is your favorite dessert food?

Tiramisu, key lime pie, and anything that includes the letters i.c.e.c.r.e.a.m.

What is your message to all of our readers?

That I feel blessed and honored to be the Superintendent of this wonderful school district.  That I will work very hard to make it a safe environment for all will do my best to leave this district an even better place than when I found it.