On the Money

For a few particularly enterprising students at NASH, the business world is already beckoning.
photo credit: Charles Potter
NASH junior Charles Potter sold his landscaping business last summer.

The word entrepreneur conjures up images of a suit-wearing, successful businessperson or perhaps a young person selling their start-up for a fortune. But what many don’t consider are the beginners of the business world, the budding starters.

One such newcomer is NASH junior Braden Dewitt, who has been researching, working, and thinking of innovative ways to make money for nearly three months now. He currently creates online content and runs a landscaping business in his neighborhood.

DeWitt’s motivation is straightforward.

“The ability to be financially free so I can pursue my purpose later in life is what motivates me,” he said.

DeWitt has quite a lot on his plate, being a high school student, making money, and having a social life. Nevertheless the end of his time here at North Allegheny, he wants to achieve a lot.

“My goals include passing the $100,000 mark for profit on all business ventures, buying a new car, and making sure I’m setting myself up to make more money once out of high school,” he added.

Dewitt has learned that, in the entrepreneurial world, some personality traits are more important than others.

“Consistency and discipline will always beat motivation,” he said.

Charles Potter is another junior entrepreneur at NASH. He started his venture into the business world when he was just 13.

“My family is full of successful entrepreneurs, so it runs in the family,” Potter said. “Also, I love the concept of owning and running a business. It’s something that I love to do, and I have the support to make happen.”

He started from the ground up, simply mowing lawns by himself. But over time he realized that his operation had potential to grow, leading him to include friends in the business.

However, there were a few roadblocks that held back the capabilities of his business.

“Scheduling and people,” Potter said. “Matching up schedules with people who can’t or don’t want to work is super difficult. Also, after a while, those wrong people may start to betray you, leaving you in a deficit.”

The further Potter got into his landscaping business, the more he started to see that it was not what he was hoping to create. Once he came to the realization that his operation was not going the way he planned, he sold his small company in the summer of 2023.

But he learned an important lesson along the way.

“Making a business with your friends is always fun,” he said, “but when people show their true colors, or you show your true colors, struggles in the inter-workings of the business will be ten times harder to cure with the relationships set in place.”