At the Wheel

Junior drivers are enjoying the freedom of managing their own morning schedules.
Ruby Morris
Students crossing the road after a long school day.

At North Allegheny, rising juniors face the stress not only of starting a new school year at a new school but also of driving to school for the first time. Many love the new freedom, but it usually comes with a new set of burdens.

“I love the freedom of being able to drive to school and the freedom it brings, letting me be on my own time, but it is very nerve-wracking at times,“ junior Jack Paclawski said.

Each school morning, there is significant traffic to enter the NASH campus in either the north or south direction. Additionally, once students get into the campus, they have to worry about  finding a spot in the parking lot.

But junior drivers are learning to adapt.

“It’s not easy, but you just have to take your time and follow directions and you will find a spot,” junior Chloe Kotrozo stated,

I can go right from school to the golf course and even get food in between, without having to worry about going home first or finding a ride

— Logan Lyle, NASH junior

As junior drivers are newer to their licenses than seniors — and neither group is particularly experienced behind the wheel — safety is a primary concern.

“There is always the thought of being in a crash, but that is not something you should worry about all the time,” junior Obaid Imran said.

But for most juniors, who have ridden the bus to school for the past 10 years, the option to drive to NASH and have more control over their morning schedule is too good to pass up.

“The freedom of being able to drive is so nice,” junior Emerson Gallo said. “I can pick up my friends before school and go get a coffee all before school.”

Junior athlete Logan Lyle, who has a busy schedule after school each day, sees another benefit.

“I can go right from school to the golf course and even get food in between, without having to worry about going home first or finding a ride,” Lyle said.

The freedom of being able to drive is what entices hundreds of juniors to drive to school each day, and the stress of parking and exiting appears to be worth the reward.