Good Talk: Mr. Boyd

Meet NASH’s newest English teacher!
photo by D. Crickets

Where are you originally from?

I am originally from North Huntingdon, PA.

What college did you go to?

I attended Grove City College and graduated in May of this year. 

What made you want to teach English?

My mother is an English teacher at Norwin School District, and she is hands down the best person I know. Whenever I was a kid, I would be in awe of how many people would come up to my mom and thank her for making an impact on their lives. She made an impact through the wonders of literature because she would constantly push her students to think critically, analyze literature thematically, and reflect often. It is because of her that I am where I am today.

How long have you been teaching?

Not long at all! This is my first full year ever as a teacher. Aside from student teaching at West Middlesex, and some subbing opportunities at Hempfield and Mt. Lebanon, I am definitely a rookie here at North Allegheny.

What do you like the most about teaching English?

My favorite thing about teaching English is being able to push students to see the big picture; I encourage all my students to think critically through discovering themes, comprehending symbolism, and making connections to our world. I also love working with students to improve their writing skills.

Did you do any sports or activities in high school?

I played football, basketball, baseball, golf, and ran track at various points in my athletic career as a high school student.

Do you have any hobbies outside of school?

I love to fish, play chess, travel, go to Pirates games, and spend time with my family.

What is something that people may find surprising about you?

The only teacher in high school to turn me in to the office was my own mother. I completely deserved it.

Are you a morning person or night person?

Definitely a morning person — I wake up around 4:30 am every morning to come to NASH.

What is your favorite season of the year?

Fall. The beauty of the tree colors, the rush of football being back, and getting to spend time with close family members at Thanksgiving are things I look forward to every fall season.

What is your favorite candy?

Swedish fish — it is my go-to candy whenever I am at the movies.

If you were to write a book, what would it be about?

Be okay with going outside your comfort zone. I have found that whenever we go outside the normal, or the comfortable, we truly begin to grow and change as people. Embracing the unknown or the uncomfortable is hard, but we learn more about ourselves from taking those risks than we would just being complacent with the normal.

2
View Comments (2)
Lauren Lentz
Lauren Lentz, Senior Staff Writer
Lauren is a senior at NASH and this is her second year writing for The Uproar. She is on the NA gymnastics team. Outside of journalism, Lauren enjoys listening to music and driving around with her friends.

• M

Mr. HannanOct 14, 2023 at 5:43 pm

Great to have you at NASH Mr. Boyd! Tell us what did you do to get turned into the office??

Reply
  • B

Brady MenschSep 20, 2023 at 10:08 am

I really enjoyed this piece; it really helps paint a picture of how my English teacher, Mr. Boyd, came to be.

Reply