November 13, 2023

Attention Grandview Mentors: Please plan to attend ONE of the two training sessions in the NASH PLACE, room 255, during homeroom RIGHT NOW or during homeroom TOMORROW. We’ll be visiting Grandview Elementary School on Thursday, November 16th. If you have any questions, see Mrs. Lombardi in Room 249A.  

******

Student Council is hosting a food drive TODAY through Friday with all proceeds going to North Hills Food Bank. Bring nonperishable goods and money to your homeroom or the table by the main office the morning before school. The homeroom with the most cans collected by the end of the week wins FREE DONUTS! Please donate to support a great cause!

******

The NHS Fall Blood Drive is Tuesday, November 21, and there is an urgent need for blood donations! You can donate blood in person at school on Tuesday, November 21. Signups for the Blood Drive start this week, November 13-17, during lunch periods. ALL NASH students and staff 16 and older can sign up to donate. NHS members can receive 1 service hour for donating blood. For more information or questions, email Sydney Bartos.

******

Military Week begins today at NASH. This is your opportunity to spend quality time with a variety of military recruiting agencies. If you have an interest in learning more about a career in the military, or scholarship opportunities through ROTC, or how the ASVAB can help you, this is your chance. There will be a different branch of the military here at NASH each day this week. Today we will be hosting representatives from the U.S. NAVY. Representatives will be here today from 8:00 am until 2:00 pm. They will be in the auditorium foyer and then transition to the cafeteria during all lunches.

******

ASVAB Testing will be offered at NASH on Wednesday, November 22nd. Please stop by the NASH Main Office to register for the test before the end of the day Monday, November 20th.  The ASVAB exam allows students to explore a full spectrum of occupations, whether they are college, trade school, military, or workforce-bound. With our ever-changing workforce, the team here at NASH feels the ASVAB will give students the best direction possible when planning what they would like to do after high school. Test scores will not be released to the military unless students or families grant permission to do so, and the test is free of charge. For further information, contact Lt. Col. Accamando at NAI.

******

Attention Seniors:  This is a reminder that orders and payments for your senior t-shirts are due by this Friday, November 17th  by the end of the school day.  Please see Dr. Dirda’s email from November 8th for all of the information to make your purchase.  You can also follow the NASH Senior Class on Instagram @nashseniorclass to keep up with all the important senior class info during the school year.  The order form for the t-shirt is linked in the Bio on Instagram.  You must be logged into your NA Google Account to complete the order form. 

******

Children’s Grief Awareness Day is a day to help others understand the impact of death on children and teens and their need for support.  Join us by wearing blue on Children’s Grief Awareness Day next Thursday, November 16th to show support to the grieving students around us. 

******

The NA Gender and Sexuality Alliance (GSA) is meeting this Wednesday, November 15th after school in The Place, next to the NASH Library. This week, we will have a special guest from the Hugh Lane Foundation discussing the many options that young LGBTQ people have for socializing and support. Please join the GSA for this interesting conversation! The GSA is a safe space for all NA LGBTQ students and their allies. Questions? Contact us at [email protected].

******

Join Cure JM Club! Learn about a rare disease, support local families, and help with fundraising events. Meetings will be held in Mrs. Allen’s room, room 365. Look for hallway flyers for more information and the first meeting date

*****

If you are a part of a club, activity, or sport and want to help transform NASH this year as a part of STUCO’s Operation Winter Wonderland, talk to your advisor about joining in the fun. Applications should be turned in by December 1st at the end of the day and hallway assignments will follow closely after! If you have any questions, reach out to Mr. Karolski.

******

Attention NASH writers and artists: What do Andy Warhol, Sylvia Plath, and Stephen King have in common?  They were winners of the Scholastic Art & Writing Awards! This contest has an impressive legacy dating back to 1923; it has grown to become the longest-running, most prestigious recognition program for creative artists and writers in the U.S. The deadlines for submitting to the Scholastic Art and Writing Awards are coming up soon. The deadline for writing is December 15th. The deadline for art is January 8th. There is a $10 submission fee for each entry, and seniors may submit a portfolio for a $30 fee. Stop by the GOAL Office, room 249A, for more information about the Writing Awards.  See your art teacher for information about the Art Awards.

******

You can find a copy of the announcements from today, yesterday, and every day at nashuproar.org. Thanks, and have a great day.