Farewell, Dr. Dirda!

She’s off to lead South Fayette High School on December 21st, but before her departure she leaves us with a final goodbye.
Ruby Morris

What will you miss most about NASH?

There are many things, but you, the students. I’ve shared with you guys before that the students at NASH are the best, and I have loved every second of working with you and watching you grow. I’m going to miss the staff here who are completely invested in making sure that you and the other 1350 students have the best possible experience. The North Allegheny community has embraced me since I joined in 2020, and I have loved every second of my time with you guys, but as I reflect, I think what I’m going to miss most are just genuine moments of seeing our students displaying our identity and focus of deep love and care and the relentless pursuing of excellence. In the most beautiful ways, I’m going to miss those moments when I’m watching you guys on stage or seeing you in the cafeteria.

What are you most excited about in your new position?

I’m excited about the opportunity to join a new school community, make new connections, meet new people, support students, and take on a new journey. There is something that is calling me there right now, so I believe to my core that at some point I’m going to have that light bulb moment of this is why I’m here. I just love working with high school students, and in my opinion, it is the best job on the planet. I’m most excited about where this opportunity will lead me professionally and personally.

When do you plan to leave?

Wednesday, December 20th will be my official last day here at NASH and I will be joining South Fayette the next day. I have all kinds of emotions as I love you guys so much and I’m so excited about what’s to come. I know that Mr. Buchak, who will be the next NASH principal, loves NASH, he loves North Allegheny, he loves everything that Tiger Country is built on. He and I had the opportunity to spend a lot of time together yesterday, and we have actually worked together in the past. Our priority is making sure that it is a positive, smooth transition for our students and our staff. While December 20th will officially be my last day, I will be following the end of your time at NASH very closely.

Uproar editor Olivia Shubak and Dr. Dirda meet in the NASH Main Office. Dirda will wrap up her tenure at NASH on December 20th and assume the principalship at South Fayette High School on December 21st. (Ruby Morris)

What lessons from your time at NASH will you take with you to your new position?

There are so many lessons. I joined North Allegheny at the end of February 2020, almost two weeks before the pandemic hit. One of the greatest lessons I’ve learned is the importance of developing authentic, trusting relationships with all students, staff, parents, and community members. The transition that I had to NASH, with it being two weeks before the pandemic, presented many many challenges for everybody. NASH had just got a new principal and then two weeks later the world changed abruptly, and North Allegheny embraced me in a way that I will take with me throughout the rest of my life, my career, personal, professional, all of it. You never know what tomorrow will bring, so embrace all of it in the most respectful, loving, and caring manner because you don’t know what anybody is navigating. A lot of times those small moments are what’s meaningful and what people remember. I believe I am a more effective administrator, principal, educator, and person today than when I first started, and I’m forever indebted and grateful. We always say once a tiger, always a tiger, and I will always call North Allegheny home.

What qualities do you think would help a person stepping into your position?

You do not know what North Allegheny is until you are able to experience it. People who aren’t part of North Allegheny have a perception of what North Allegheny is, and in the most beautiful way, they are so wrong. Our students are the most respectful, kind, caring, compassionate, competitive, resilient, and gritty. They just have this unbelievable perseverance and drive to be great in a way that you can’t measure, can’t describe. I hope for Mr. Buchak to continue to create safe, inclusive opportunities for students to share what they want NASH to be. It’s our students’ school. It’s not my school. It’s not Mr. Buchak’s, Mr. Salopek’s, Mr. Walker’s. We need to hear your voices on what you want the future of NASH to be. I know that he’s going to do that, and I can’t wait to be your biggest cheerleader from the South Hills as I hear what you guys are about to accomplish.

What do you feel is your greatest accomplishment as principal?

I’m most proud of the NASH identity and focus that we have created together. I feel that watching our students and staff truly live deep love and care while relentlessly pursuing excellence is what I’m most proud of. I believe that if that is done every day in any school–if you truly care about the people that you are surrounded by and you challenge each other to be better tomorrow than you were today–there is no way you won’t achieve greatness.

If it were the South Fayette Lions versus the North Allegheny Tigers competing, who would you root for?

I feel like Lions and Tigers rule the kingdom together, so I’m going to say both have my full heart and I’ve gotta plead the 5th.