Deck the Halls ’23

Operation Winter Wonderland has NASH clubs in full decoration mode as the holiday break approaches.

With Winter Break right around the corner, the Student Council team is hosting a school-wide project called Operation Winter Wonderland to bring the holiday spirit to NASH for the last week before vacation. 

“The idea is to transform the halls of the school into a magical and festive atmosphere where students and staff are excited to walk around and see what decorations their peers create,” StuCo sponsor Mr. Karolski said.

This is Winter Wonderland’s third year, and StuCo president Sam Lopuszynski has high expectations. 

“We want the week before winter break to be as fun as possible to send off the year in grand fashion,” Lopuszynski said. “The reaction to all of the decorations when students come in Monday morning is amazing, and it helps to put everyone in a great holiday mood.” 

Mr. Karolski, the StuCo sponsor, is pleased to see the holiday enthusiasm from the NASH community over the past three years.

“This started as an idea after Homecoming during the 2021-2022 school year,” Karolski said. “That year we really needed something to fill the halls with joy and it has been a hit ever since.”

The reaction to all of the decorations when students come in Monday morning is amazing.

— Sam Lopuszynski, StuCo President

Any and all clubs that NASH hosts have the opportunity to participate and decorate a hallway. This year, approximately 27 different clubs are signed up to spread holiday cheer around the school. Each club will be assigned an area of the school on one of the three floors. And StuCo has its own assignment — the entire cafeteria.

Mrs. Oliver, the co-sponsor of National Honor Society, said that her members “love the idea of working together to make the school look beautiful.” Oliver has been a part of the operation since it began in 2021. All National Honor Society students who spend time and help out decorating will receive service hours for the club. 

StuCo Corresponding Secretary Corrin Johnson sees a larger purpose to the annual activity.

“The purpose of Operation Winter Wonderland is to represent all of the groups that make up our school,” she said.

The hope is that with the variety of clubs that represent many different aspects of NASH, the school will be filled with holiday cheer from many diverse cultures that celebrate in many ways.

“The nice thing about it is that it can be as big or small as your club wants, so smaller clubs enjoy just as much as the bigger clubs,” Karolski said. 

So come Monday, expect the school to be filled with festive spirit, just in time for the big break ahead.