Good Talk: Mr. Buchak

Meet our new principal… and have a NASH day!
Ruby Morris

How long have you been working in education?

I showed an interest in education early in my college career, which was over 25 years ago. I would volunteer for the Special Olympics while studying for my undergrad. My first teaching contract came in January 2001 in the state of Hawai’i. So officially, I have been working in education for over 20 years. 

You were at NASH before moving to Marshall MS. How does it feel to be back?

The feeling of NASH is special. I am fortunate to have developed relationships with our students at MMS. When I see our students as juniors and seniors, I am so amazed at their growth. I am excited to work with all of our students at this level. 

What is your main goal this semester at NASH?  

To continue to nurture a safe and welcoming environment where everyone (e.g., students, staff, families, and community members) can share their voice and feel a connection with our school.

What do you think will be your biggest challenge here?

Each day brings different challenges and joys. Our biggest challenge rests in our ability to work together to achieve an environment that pushes everyone to achieve and exceed their potential. Creating this environment takes trust, grit, and love in each other so we can achieve the impossible. 

You mentioned that you began your teaching career in Hawaii. How was that experience?

Hawai’i is a special place. I give a shout out to our people on the islands, Aloha! I had the honor to study Hawaiian history and teach it. So beautiful and strong. The ocean and food are amazing! But the most important aspect of Hawai’i is the people. Students, ohana, and all others were inspirational!

Where did you grow up?

I grew up in the small towns of Monongahela and Donora, PA. These towns once relied on the steel industry, and my grandfather worked in a zinc mill in the early 1900s. This mill helped pave the way for the Clean Air Act.

What were you like as a high school student?

I was kind. I respected people. I enjoyed playing basketball and football and writing poetry. 

Favorite class in high school?

My favorite class in HS was Creative Writing. I wrote a handful of short stories, which added entertainment to the class.

I understand you were in the military. Where were you stationed and what was the experience like? 

I had the honor to serve as a soldier in the United States Army. I visited many states and countries to train and develop skills to help our mission. My longest deployment was during Operation Iraqi Freedom. My active duty orders were from November 2003 through February 2005. I am thankful for my experience but recognize the ultimate sacrifice some of our service members made, and I am eternally grateful.

What is an important lesson you’ve learned from your time in the military that you’ve taken into your personal and professional life?

Enjoy each moment and know the greater whole is greater than you. 

Did you have any other career aspirations before teaching, and what made you want to get into education?

I wanted to be a writer, maybe a sports beat writer or a screenplay author. I really enjoyed the vision one can create through writing.

Who is your role model? And what influence has that person had on you?

I’ve been blessed to have many mentors. The most influential people in my life are my family and close friends.

Music taste – favorite artist and album?

I enjoy mostly all music, from reggae, worship, classic rock, and country to hip hop, classical, jazz, and r&b. Music soothes the soul! 

Favorite movie? 

The Rocky series

Favorite book?

The Warrior: The Bruce Lee Story

What is something you love about your family?

Love and acceptance. Grace and forgiveness. Accountability and encouragement. Warmth and goodness. 

How does having kids the same age as the students that are under you impact the way you go about your role within NASH?

Lol, they give me advice on how much excitement I should have in the morning!!! Be cool, Dad… 

If you could be any other person for a day, who would you be and why?

I’m fine with being myself… I have a choice to decide my day. I am thankful for that option!

Tell us about your hobbies.

I used to play the guitar. Lately, my hobbies consist of washing dishes and clothes, cleaning our house, checking emails, and trying to make people laugh!

Any other words for NASH students?

Keep persevering! Your hard work and dedication change our world for the better. Finding joy in what you do will inspire others. Keep fighting the good fight! Have a NASH day!