Steelers 2023-24 in Retrospect

Though the season was ultimately disappointing, there is cause for hope as the team prepares for next fall.
SteelerCityHobbies via Wikimedia

After a thrilling season full of ups and downs, the Pittsburgh Steelers failed to win a playoff game for the seventh year in a row. The team battled many challenges, such as the firing of the offensive coordinator, multiple key player injuries, and a major mid-season losing streak. However, the resilient team managed a way into the AFC Wild Card round and recorded another winning season for head coach Mike Tomlin. 

The opening five weeks for the Steelers did not show a clear sign of how the season was going to play out. Varying game results left many fans and analysts to suspect any type of change during the week 6 bye. 

Over the next few games, inconsistencies remained. After stringing together two home wins versus the Titans and Packers, the Steelers greatly struggled on the road in Cleveland. 

The organization released offensive coordinator, Matt Canada, from his duties after the week 11 loss in Cleveland. The Steelers fan base was in full support of Canada’s removal, some even wishing it would have happened sooner than it did. The majority opinion was that it was in the organization’s best interest to start with new play calls that had various options such as pass routes, QB sneaks, RPOs, and more, not just the typical jet sweep on third & long. 

Ironically, the Steelers offense converted for over 400 yards, the most all season. the following week in their win at Cincinnati. 

At that point in the season, the Steelers were 7-5 as two of the worst teams in the NFL were coming into town for primetime games. The Arizona Cardinals arrived week 13 and gave the Steelers some business. Unfortunately, quarterback Kenny Pickett was injured and removed from the game. He underwent surgery the next morning and was expected to be ruled out for weeks to come. The Steelers were now led by second-string Mitchell Trubisky. They dropped this contest in a stunning 16-10 loss.

With Pickett’s injury, the Steelers decided to ride on Trubisky again in their home game against the New England Patriots. This performance by the Steelers was just as ugly as it could get. They had been handed another loss, with a final score of 21-16. There was not much left to be said about this football team. Most fans had given up and stopped hoping for a winning season and a shot at the playoffs. 

Week 15, the Steelers were in major need for a win to keep their playoff spark alive. Trubisky began to lead the team again, but he was benched in the second half. Third-string Mason Rudolph took the field in hopes of stirring up some offensive energy. Despite the offensive change, it was still too challenging of a task for the Steelers to reach, giving them another loss on the season. 

But Rudolph was named the starter and directed the team to three straight victories to close out the regular season, giving the Steelers a legitimate shot at making the NFL playoffs. With some help from around the league, the Steelers clinched a spot in the AFC Wild Card game on the last day of the regular season. They faced the Buffalo Bills at Highmark Stadium in Orchard Park, New York in the round but could not overcome an early three-touchdown deficit. 

Though most fans were disappointed in the outcome of the Pittsburgh Steelers 2023-2024 season, there was a lot to learn on both the players’ and coaches’ sides. Throughout the offseason, the team will continue to build up the organization in hopes for another exciting and successful season in the fall.