A Friend Near and Afar

When close friendships turn long-distance, the bond can remain as strong ever.
courtesy of Sara Durzo

The buzz about long-distance romantic relationships is pretty negative. They don’t tend to last due to the distance, and therefore time, apart from each other. Friendships, however, are a little easier to maintain.

For example, my best friend, Sara, lives in Ohio. She attends Ohio University and I don’t get to see her as often as I used to. I went from seeing her almost every weekend to only seeing her on special occasions. 

Sara and I met through our dads. They work together and we’ve been inseparable ever since I met her when I was a toddler. We had our own little “family friend group,” but Sara and I grew closer than anyone else.

It had always been a tradition of ours to go up to Sara’s family’s camp in Kennerdell., PA and stay for a few nights. There’s no cell service up in Kennerdell, so it was a nice way to just step away from technology and enjoy each other’s company for a few days. We would build a tent, drive the golf cart, swim in the lake, and roast marshmallows. 

I miss Sara every day, and I wish she was still only a ten-minute drive away. Now, she’s three hours away. However, we have not lost our special bond since she moved away. We continuously update each other on what’s going on in our lives through videos on Snapchat. Not to mention, she never fails to send me the entirety of her TikTok feed on a daily basis. 

Even with our extremely busy schedules, social media allows us to take just a few seconds out of our day and talk to each other. 

It’s also easy to keep her in the loop of everything going on in my life. I immediately send her videos as soon as they occur in my life. I’m not sure how she manages to remember all my friends’ names. Whenever she tells me about her own drama, I have to ask about fifty million times who these people are.

I don’t think a single day has gone by where Sara and I haven’t sent a video to each other. We talk daily about the most random things. Just the other day, I sent her a video at 10:30 at night just rambling about my favorite musicals.

We both have a pretty good perspective on what’s going on in each other’s life. Simple daily videos of updates really go a long way. It helps to keep the both of us in the loop. 

People tend to look at the negative side of social media and all its flaws. However, they fail to see the pros that often outweigh the cons. Were it not for social media, I would probably have to call Sara every single day, which is an inconvenience for both of us. Even with our extremely busy schedules, social media allows us to take just a few seconds out of our day and talk to each other. 

Though communication via social media wouldn’t be my first choice for maintaining our connection, it has undoubtedly proven to be useful. When I really think about it, Sara isn’t actually three hours away from me; she’s just a few clicks away from having a conversation.

2
View Comments (2)
About the Contributor
Gracie Durzo
Gracie Durzo, Staff Writer
Gracie Durzo is a junior at NASH. This is her first year partaking in Journalism and she is very excited to begin a new chapter in her high school journey. She decided to take journalism because she wanted to put her writing skills into greater use beyond English essays. Gracie also participates in the NA musicals and is a past actress of the NAI plays. Outside of Journalism and extracurricular activities, she enjoys going out with her friends and spending time with her family. 

• A

Abigail peighApr 4, 2024 at 1:40 pm

Gracie, you’re an amazing actor and writer, your talents never cease to surprise me and really show what you’re capable of! I’m so proud of you Gracie! Continue to shine! Always just be you!!!

Reply
  • M

mawmawApr 4, 2024 at 9:16 am

Grace, you never cease to amaze me. I’m in awe of your talents.
    The unbiased mawmaw

Reply