Prom Dress Dues

Some Prom dresses sell for thousands of dollars. Is the price worth it?
Ruby Morris
Prom dresses hang on display at David’s Bridal at The Block at Northway.

Prom night. A night many high school students have been looking forward to since the beginning of their schooling years. For many, it’s a chance to dress to the nines in a lavish gown to feel as confident as possible. As the excitement builds, so does the pressure to find that perfect dress.

However, sometimes those dresses are accompanied by a hefty price tag.

For some, the idea of finding the perfect dress prevails over the price tag. Prom dress shopping is an experience in itself, with plenty of different styles, cuts, and colors of dresses to choose from. While the experience itself is fun, Prom dress boutiques tend to sell dresses that cost much more than what is available at Macy’s or Dillard’s.

Girls want to wear a dress that no one else will be wearing so they can stand out, and at many of those Prom dress stores, only one style of dress can be purchased per school — a policy that ensures that every girl will be wearing something unique and will give them confidence on their special night. Many parents are willing to spend their money on a dress that makes their daughters happy because the memories that are made are priceless. 

It’s not worth it to have a financial burden just to keep up with the pressure of wearing a luxury Prom dress.

Going hand and hand with cost is the quality of the dress itself. No one wants a dress that falls apart on the dance floor or rips during pictures, but unfortunately good quality dresses cost much more. Some girls prefer the durability of a dress and may even want to have it as a keepsake. Stores like Henri’s Cloud Nine, in Minerva, Ohio,  tout the quality of their top-notch designer dresses. Their dresses are an average of around $500, but some cost as much as almost $6000. While that may seem outrageous, parents are willing to pay as much to make their daughter’s night memorable as possible. After all, you only get one Prom night.

However, it is only one night, and many don’t like the idea of spending that much money on a dress that you’ll only wear once. Others argue that it’s the memories that you make rather than the dress you wear that is what really matters on Prom night. Plenty of people also don’t have parents who are willing to pay for their Prom dress, meaning they are on a tight budget when looking for a dress. It’s not worth it to have a financial burden just to keep up with the pressure of wearing a luxury Prom dress. Also, stores such as Lulu’s or Windor’s offer hundreds of quality Prom dresses for a fraction of the cost. 

Ultimately, the decision to buy an expensive Prom dress boils down to individual priorities and circumstances. Regardless, whether a Prom dress costs thousands of dollars or not, Prom is about making memories that will last a lifetime.