Making History

Meet one of NASH’s most productive seniors–Michael Gauntner
Making+History
Ruby Morris

You were mentioned three separate times in the morning announcements last Friday, one for winning the NAFT Future Teacher Scholarship, one for the History Bowl, and one for Miles2Meals. What’s your secret to productivity?

It’s definitely derived from a couple of factors. First is ambition. If I really want to do something or accomplish a goal, then I just go for it. I won’t know if I’ll fail or succeed at something if I never attempt it. Cooperation is also another big factor. So many helpful people have assisted me with all three of these announcements. I honestly couldn’t have done any of it without them. Enjoyment is also important. I’m the type of person who can’t really sit still for a long period of time. I always have to be doing something, no matter how big or small it may be. Finally, adequate time for relaxation. I find time to just take a break and not worry about all that is happening. Proper rest and time away from your goals can greatly raise your productivity levels when working on any kind of project. 

How did you get the idea to initiate the NASH History Bowl?

The idea sparked from my participation in this year’s History Bowl, which I was fortunate enough to be a part of for the first time. I have a great passion for history and competition, and so I thought, why not have a History Bowl at NA? The idea first came up at the actual History Bowl in a conversation between me and Mrs. Ruffolo. I just kept coming up with idea after idea with her, and before I knew it, I was in the process of setting one up at NA. 

What is Miles2Meals?

Miles2Meals is a 100-mile relay between two teams, with all funds and donations going to North Hills Community Outreach. The concept originated way back in the 70s and 80s. My friend Vincent Rotunno started it back up just last year. The event lasts the majority of the day and sees people from all age groups participating and having fun. 

Why did you choose to attend Slippery Rock University?

I chose Slippery Rock for a couple of reasons. The first is that it’s close enough to home where I can come back really whenever but is also far enough away where I can still experience new things. Slippery Rock is also very affordable, which was one of my biggest priorities when looking for a school. I’m also a huge fan of the campus and town. They both give off good vibes, in my opinion. Finally, the most important reason would have to be their educational program. They are widely praised for this in particular, and so this really added to my decision to commit. 

Why did you choose to major in Education?

I truly have a passion for teaching others new things. I’m the type of person who loves learning about just about anything, and having the opportunity to tell others about what I know is exciting to me. Education also allows me to constantly change things up. You’ll always be teaching something new every day, and throughout the years you can change how you teach a lesson. Both the teaching and the ever-changing atmosphere of the classroom just seem like the perfect combination for me. 

Are there any teachers who have affected your chosen career path?

Oh, for sure. Most are social studies teachers, because I’ve had the closest relationships with them. Just to name a few: Mr. Winschel, Ms. Keats, Mr. Venezia, Mr. Maddix, and Mr. Schall. I’ve had many conversations with all these teachers, and more, about their careers. They all have been honest and very helpful. Seeing them all teach, too, has very much motivated me to be just as good as they are. 

What got you into running?

In all honesty, a few dumb reasons led me to the sport of running. It was a combination of getting 2nd place in school mile during gym, coming in 8th place in the IMS Benefit Run, and multiple conversations with a teacher who said I should try cross-country. I also love competing, and cross-country and track are among the most competitive sports out there. 

What do you listen to when you run?

I don’t normally get the opportunity to listen to anything while running because I’m usually running with others. However, when I am alone, I like to listen to either true crime podcasts or play some Billy Joel songs. Other times, I’ll just play my DJ on Spotify and run to whatever that plays. 

How’s the track team doing this year?

The team so far this year has done really well. We’ve only lost one meet this year, but we’re still likely to make it to the WPIAL finals. Our biggest rival is Butler, who sadly was the team who beat us, and Seneca Valley, whom we have a meet against in a couple of days. I have big hopes for us throughout the rest of the season. 

What Spongebob character are you most similar to?

This will sound really basic, but I would say the man himself — Spongebob. He always just looks at the world in such a positive light and tries to be kind to everyone. There’s never a dull moment with him, and he has fun no matter what. For the most part, I see myself this way. Although there is much wrong with the world, I always look for the positive in everything. I also try to be friendly to everyone I meet and love making new friends. Whenever the moment allows, I try to have some fun no matter the situation.

What’s your favorite movie of all time?

It would have to be Rocky IV. I am a huge fan of the Rocky series, and out of all of them, Rocky IV is my favorite. Seeing Rocky overcome the challenge of his rival, Ivan Drago, is so awesome and fun to watch. The whole American-Soviet rivalry in the movie also adds to why it’s my favorite, due to the history of it all. 

If you could have lunch with three historical figures, living or dead, who would you choose?

I would choose Napoleon Bonepart, George Washington, and Winston Churchill. All three of these men were so similar, yet so different. They come from three different periods of globe-changing wars, and I would love to hear their thoughts on their respective conflicts. Did they believe they would succeed and did they have any doubts? I would also be interested in what place each figure would want to eat at and what they would choose for lunch. 

And finally, who’s your least favorite historical figure?

There are definitely a few different figures whom I am not fond of, such as Hitler, Stalin, and Tojo. However, to end things on a less dark note, I would say Benedict Arnold. He was a U.S. revolutionary who switched sides in 1780 and joined the British against the Americans. A traitor to the Americans then is a traitor to me now. Truly the scum of the earth. I guess he enjoyed taxation without representation.