The Magic of Music

On May 18th, NA String Orchestra Members brought the magic of Disney to NASH’s auditorium.
Sarah Lavelle
The North Allegheny String Orchestra performs Aladdin’s “A Whole New World” on the NASH stage.

On Saturday, May 18th, the magic returned to NASH’s auditorium once again.

The annual Children’s Concert, informally referred to as the “Disney Concert” is hosted by the NASH orchestra to introduce young concert guests to the unique sound and playing method of each instrument found within the string orchestra. The goal is to reach out to children through easily recognizable songs, and potentially inspire them to pursue playing an instrument themselves.

For some members of the NASH String Orchestra, community lay at the core of their performance.

“I participated in this concert because I love being a part of the orchestra community,” said Sophia Karki, a violinist. “Sharing recognizable music with young kids is a really rewarding experience.”

Other students jumped at the chance to show off their instruments that are less frequently acknowledged to a curious small audience. 

Juniors Lydia Jones and Reagan Ball dressed as Slinky Dog from Toy Story. (Grace Thomas)

“I decided to participate in the concert because not many bass players had volunteered,” said Rachel McLaughlin, a bassist. “I wanted to help represent one of the smaller sections as a bassist.”

The performance itself was punctuated with short introductions

to each instrument through a single melody line. The audience was shown the sound and size range of each instrument, alongside the standard playing positions. 

After the performance, children were invited to a hands-on chance to see instruments up close. Half-size violins and cellos were held and demonstrated by NASH orchestra members, then offered to any curious children who wanted to try a couple of notes.

The catchy themes and bright melodies of classic and modern Disney songs were part of the appeal for children, parents, and NASH students themselves. Pieces played this year included Spirit of Advent

Students Megumi Kawabe and Ashley Jang dressed as Elsa and Anna from Frozen. (Grace Thomas)

ure from Up, Kingdom Dance from Tangled, A Whole New World from Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, and medlies from Encanto, The Little Mermaid, and Pirates of the Caribbean

The shifting tones and music styles across pieces made the rehearsal and performance of the Disney Concert a welcomed challenge. For some, new playing styles came with long-awaited new roles in the composition of pieces.

“My favorite part of the concert was playing Pirates of the Caribbean, because it had a lively bass part with few measures of rest, which is rare for bassists,” McLaughlin said.

In a shift from the regular decorum of orchestra concerts, children were encouraged to get up and participate themselves by dancing in front of the stage, adding to their immersion in the music and matching its liveliness.

“My favorite piece was Kingdom Dance, from Tangled, because of how lively it is, and a lot of the young kids were even dancing to it!” Karki said.

The immersion wasn’t limited to the music itself. NASH performers were encouraged to dress as their own favorite characters–both for greeting the children, and for their own entertainment throughout the concert. Many students chose characters that they found nostalgic, connecting themselves to the childhood excitement of their intended audience.

Students Ella Mitchell, Ashley Friend, and Jordan Mason in costume. (Grace Thomas)

“I dressed up as Winnie the Pooh because he is such an iconic Disney character,” Karki said. “As a kid, I loved watching him go on adventures.” 

For one enchanted evening, an audience of children and NASH Orchestra students alike found their love in music.