RANTS & RAVES

Lights, Camera, Canines!

Sofia Ackerman, Copy Editor

RANTS

Ah yes, the greatest technological advancement that has ever graced NASH’s windowless classrooms — the student laptops. Barring the very real truth that the laptops add weight to the student’s already spine-bending backpacks, it’s a real shame that they tend to decide to stop working or downright quit while in the middle of a task. Oh, and battery life… where can my laptop get some? It would be absolutely amazing if they didn’t occasionally decide to greet you with a black screen that refuses to light up even as the power button illuminates tauntingly, forcing you to turn your laptop off and on again. Sometimes I envision myself as a modern-day cowboy riding my bucking steel bronco to the end of senior year… I think my laptop has worse senioritis than I do.

The spring musical just wrapped up… and so did the bane of every calculus student’s existence: the integral packet. Now, I am not associated with either of these time-devouring enterprises, but my heart goes out to everyone who had to tackle one or the other… or both. Stay strong, my friends, I’m rooting for you and your grades…

Please. Please. Please. For the sake of my sanity. I don’t mind if you put your feet in the rack under my desk. I DO mind if you start bouncing your feet and shake me and my entire desk. Have some common courtesy, please, as usually I am too anxious to turn around and confront you to ask you to stop. This is your classroom, not your bedroom; the racks aren’t there for your feet to perch on anyway.

RAVES

I’d like to take a moment to appreciate the time and effort that goes into  NATV’s video productions. Not only are their Friday skits a great way to kick off the day, but the morning announcements are very well put together. Kudos to Max Micucci, Evan Riley, Sean Malady, Connor Horan, Jimbo Lawry and the entire cast and crew of NATV.

As odd and vast as the gap between the punishments for being caught vaping versus being caught smoking on school grounds is, I think the school’s stance on the subject is admirable. The punishment is not to destroy kids’ lives; it is a consequence of their choices and hopefully will make students think twice about their actions. Vaping is not healthy, no matter what way you want to spin it.

“Stress Reduction Week.” That might just be the best string of words that a student could encounter, along with “[add season here] break,” “no homework,” and “the test is canceled.” The idea in and of itself is excellent, but the fact that there will be dogs at our school this Friday is absolutely amazing. I think I speak for a majority of students who enjoy the company of the canine kind when I extend a hearty thanks to the junior class leaders responsible for the idea.