Congressman Lamb meets with NASH Students

The recently elected congressman met with NASH students for a Q & A session.

photo by Kaycee Orwig

photo by Kaycee Orwig

Nick Giorgetti, Politics Editor

On Monday, June 4th, Congressman Conor Lamb visited the Chorus Room for a question and answer session with juniors and seniors.  Lamb attracted national and international media during the special election this past March by managing to clinch a traditionally Republican seat, and many expert politicians and analysts believe he could signal a blue wave in the upcoming midterm elections.

Due to the recent redistricting of the whole state, and specifically PA’s 17th district, Congressman Lamb will face off with Congressman Keith Rothfus this fall.  Recently, Rothfus visited NASH for the same question and answer series.

These two events were arranged by social studies teacher Mr. Pirring, who created a Google form for the submission of questions.  He then had two teachers, one Democrat and one Republican, select a list of ten questions that represented both sides.

“Some states have only one person in the House of Representatives,” Pirring said.  “Our students got to hear from two congressmen in nine days.  It was truly a unique experience.”

About 130 students crammed into the Chorus Room on Monday.  People stood and sat in the aisles to hear Lamb speak.

Topics ranged from guns and Planned Parenthood funding to student debt, Medicaid, immigration, school shootings, and even gender-neutral bathrooms.  Lamb spoke for a while about increased background checks on guns, immigration, and the student loan crisis, which he described as “a generational crisis where the government should do more to help.”   The Congressman added, “It should not be the individual going to college who is punished by loans and debt.”

When asked about immigration, he stated, “Rounding up 12,000,000 immigrants is simply unrealistic.” 

During the talk, Lamb tended to veer moderate, especially on gun issues and immigration, calling for realistic change that is not too radical and that most politicians agree on, like increased background checks.  Lamb has been noted by national media for his generally moderate stances, and many of the students who attended the talk were impressed.  

“As a person who holds mainly right wing views, I am pleased to see a moderate, respectable gentleman running for Congress,” Zach Nichol stated. “In a divided country, I feel that is the best way to move forward.”

When Lamb was asked about Planned Parenthood, he said that, in addition to Planned Parenthood funding, the government needs to provide better access to health care for women and especially single mothers with lower income who are disproportionately affected.  Lamb continued by emphasizing the need to fund Medicaid as well, though some students remained critical of his stance on abortion.

“He is a very well-spoken and likable man,” Margo Weller said, “but his adamant support for government funding of Planned Parenthood is contradictory to the idea that he is a moderate candidate.”

After the Q and A session was completed, Lamb stayed for 40 minutes to individually talk to students and take selfies. 

“It’s great to see so many young people getting involved in politics,” the Congressman said.  “It is essential to the survival of our democracy. I thought the questions were really smart and well informed, and I hope we take our responsibilities as seriously as we take our rights. ” 

Nick Giorgetti, Political Editor
Nick Giorgetti is an expert memer, musician, second-generation Italian, food-loving and traveling senior, trapped in a perpetual search for the perfect meme.  He is highly involved in the Band program at NASH and is a member of the Marching Band cult, plotting global domination one shenanigan at a time.  When he is not knee-deep in...