Cupcakes for Cohen

Dessert fundraiser brings together TigerThon, the NASH Cafeteria staff, and a family in need

The+NASH+cafeteria+puts+the+finishing+touches+on+cupcakes+for+Cohen+to+be+sold+at+Homecoming.+
The NASH cafeteria puts the finishing touches on cupcakes for Cohen to be sold at Homecoming.

photo by Nisha Rao and Alex Flagg

photo by Nisha Rao and Alex Flagg

Richard Jensen, Alex Flagg, and Nisha Rao

During the Homecoming parade and football game tomorrow, cupcakes will be sold to benefit both TigerThon and a family working to raise money to pay for high medical costs for the treatment of their son Cohen.

Cohen’s family currently owes $98,000 out of $1.5 million total in medical costs and sells cupcakes to pay for the treatments, medication, and everyday living costs. Cohen is a five-year-old boy fighting the effects of a brain tumor. As a result, he has lost his pituitary gland and most of his vision. At various outlets around the community, Cohen’s parents run a weekly cupcake fundraiser to help earn money to pay for his expensive medical treatment.

TigerThon adviser Sharon Volpe saw an opportunity to help the cause.

“Last year, Ms. Beatty came to me and asked if we could do some kind of fundraiser for Cupcakes for Cohen,” Volpe said. “At the time, I was just a little bit overwhelmed, and I passed that information on. Along came this year, and I passed the family twice selling cupcakes. I don’t believe in signs, but I took it as almost a sign to follow up on what she had asked.”

To fit in with the “Midnight in Paris” theme of Homecoming, TigerThon students will sell these gourmet pastries for $3 each. The cupcakes will be sold during both the parade and football game, and half of the proceeds will support Cohen and his family.

“We had the idea of asking Metz, our catering service downstairs, and they were on board,” Volpe added  “It’s an amazing organization, and they definitely want to support us, and so we’re going to split the proceeds between TigerThon and Cupcakes for Cohen.”

Metz was immediately on board with TigerThon.

“Ms. Volpe talked about Tiger-Thon and how they are connected with this family,” said Jenna Ossler, Assistant Food Service Director for Metz in the NASH cafeteria.  “So, our baking staff, Diane and Sue, created the cupcakes. They’ll be available in three locations on Friday.”

Cupcakes will come in five flavors — Andes Mint, Oreo, Almond Tort, Apple Pie, and Monster — and they’re only a day away.

About the Writers
Richard Jensen, Reporter

Richard Jensen is a junior reporter. He is a member of the swim team and plays cello in the orchestra. In his spare time, Richard enjoys biking and hanging out with friends.

Alex Flagg, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Alex Flagg is a senior this year.  She loves reading, writing, and coffee, and she hates math, parking, and getting up early.  Outside of class, Alex participates in the school’s theatre program, works at Soergel’s, and sleeps whenever that’s not happening.  She plans to study English.

Nisha Rao, News Editor

Nisha Rao is a senior and longtime student at North Allegheny, where she is involved in Key Club, Speech and Debate, and Student Council. In the future, she plans to major in Political Science and Economics, while also writing throughout college. Television, food, and running bring joy to her life. She is excited to be part of The Uproar.