DC 2019: Click by Click

Katie Golden

• Mr. Morris takes attendance before departing for DC early Monday morning. The trip included 42 journalism students from The Uproar and NA Eye journalism classes. Mr. Hull, Mrs. Morris, and Mr. Mooney joined in as chaperones.

all photos by Katie Golden

• The group arrives at the Liaison Capitol Hill Hotel.

• Shortly after arriving at the hotel, the group walked down Pennsylvania Avenue to the Newseum.

• Students visited the museum on Martin Luther King Jr. Day.

• A segment of the Berlin Wall at the Newseum.

• In the Newseum classroom, Katelyn Polantz from CNN introduces students to her life as a journalist.

• Mike Skinner and Jon Michael Shink at Pendragwn Productions. The award-winning documentary film team welcomed students to their studio in the Barracks Row neighborhood of DC.

• NPR was the next stop. The group had the opportunity to tour the newsroom, one of the sound studios, and the Tiny Desk Concerts wing - and they received a surprise visit from NPR's film critic Bob Mondello.

• And then it was on to National Geographic.

• Photo Editors at National Geographic talk with students about their career paths in journalism.

• After NatGeo, the group took the Metro to the National Press Club, where they met up with Maura Judkis, NA '03, and Moriah Balingit from The Washington Post.

• Students tour the Folger Shakespeare Library. Due to the government shutdown, the group had to be creative. The Folger Library, home of the world's largest collection of Shakespearean works, offered a free tour and was only a few blocks from the hotel.

• And everyone gets back home safely on Wednesday night.