Homecoming Preparation

Dates, dresses, and dance moves are in order for the big night

Katelyn Steigerwald, Junior Class Editor

As late September rolls on here at NASH, the annual Homecoming protocol is taking shape: ask dates, buy tickets, and finalize preparations for the weekend-long festivities.

The face behind the show is our very own Student Council.

“A small group of Student Council officers and committees begin planning for Homecoming in mid-summer,” STUCO advier Mrs. Hawbaker said. “It’s not just a dance. It’s a weekend that requires plans for the dance and parade.”

The parade will kick off the annual spectacle. “The homecoming parade this year is very similar to the past two years with the club floats and court candidates led by the Marching Band on Friday beginning at 5:45 pm,” Hawbaker added.

With all of its preparation, the Band is perhaps the first school group to get excited about the weekend-long event.

“Everyone is excited especially because it’s homecoming,” junior trumpet player Alexis Vincenty said. “The turnout we have among parents, students, friends, and neighbors every year is amazing, and it gets better each year.”

After the parade, the highly anticipated football game follows. At halftime, the Homecoming King and Queen are crowned before the massive crowd. The night following the football game ushers in the much-anticipated Homecoming dance, set for October 7 from 8pm to 11pm in the NASH Cafeteria.

As the days until Homecoming dwindle, students are on the quest for dates, dresses, and groups for the hectic weekend.

“I’m really excited for Homecoming and look forward to seeing everybody all dressed up,” Maggie Risacher said.

But feelings are mixed among the student body. Senior Jake Downing takes the positive view. “Homecoming is a great way for kids to interact with each other,” he said. “It’s something fun and I think that everyone should go.”

On the other hand, Junior Luke Kachur is immune to the hype. “I would rather stay home, watch baseball, and eat pizza.”

Regardless, there’s no denying that Homecoming is a staple event of the high school experience. With all the anticipation, STUCO has its work cut out out for them. And by all appearances, they’re up to the task.