Hand It Over

Until recently, few were aware that alcohol-based hand sanitizer is not allowed in school

photo by Rachel Morrell

Alcohol-based and sanitizer is not permitted in district classrooms. But until recently, many students and teachers were unaware of the policy.

Rachel Morrell, Staff Writer

Forgotten classroom policies are making a controversial comeback this school year, especially ones regarding hand sanitizer. In September, North Allegheny head administrators reminded staff that any alcohol-based (ethyl alcohol or isopropyl alcohol) hand sanitizers are banned from facilities and buildings district-wide, and no cleaning supplies are to be handled or used by anyone under 18 years of age.  

These unknown rules and guidelines for cleaner and sanitizer usage have been around for close to a decade, but few have either known of them or actually followed them. Students in Anatomy or Biology often use Clorox wipes or antibacterial sprays to clean up after dissections, even if they are under 18. Even the school nurses have Germ-X containing ethyl alcohol in their offices. 

Without knowing the strictness of the policy, many teachers bought hand sanitizers at the beginning of the school year for their classrooms.

I purchased hand sanitizer that I am no longer allowed to use,” Magistra Ramsey said. “But who I think about in these situations are the elementary school teachers who had hand sanitizer on their classroom lists for students to bring in, and now they cannot use these supplies that families purchased.” 

According to the CDC, hand sanitizers with a 60-95% alcohol concentration are better at killing germs than hand sanitizer with a lower alcohol concentration or non-alcohol base. Non-alcohol-based sanitizers do not work for all types of germs and may reduce the growth of germs instead of killing them. 

“There are no benefits to using non-alcohol-based sanitizers over alcohol-based ones. In fact, hand sanitizers with alcohol are much more effective at killing germs and preventing illnesses from spreading,”  Pediatric Alliance pediatrician Leslie Soloshatz said.

Assistant Superintendent of Secondary Education Melissa Friez explained, “If hand sanitizers are used in a school setting, the non-alcohol based versions are used to prevent potential poisoning in small children and potential inappropriate use by older children. As a district, we purchase hand sanitizer for dispensers throughout the whole district and this hand sanitizer does not contain alcohol.”

Friez also recommends washing hands as the traditional way to get rid of germs.

Ramsey summed up the cause of this issue.

In order for the school to be compliant and following the rules, sometimes something like this is a necessity,” she said. “It is a bit of a hindrance, but ultimately the safety of students is always the top concern.”