Why School Start Times Should Remain As Is

A plethora of schools have considered pushing back start times, and many have already done so. As a current high school student, I disagree.

photo by Alyssa Bruce

For NASH students, most wake up around 5:30-6:30 each day.

Alyssa Bruce, Staff Writer

Despite the fact that it is not even 8:00 a.m. yet, high schoolers across the country are already sitting in class, taking detailed notes and listening to lectures in the bright lights of the classroom, opposite of the pitch-black darkness that can be seen through the windows.

Across the country, many school districts are pushing back start times, or at least considering doing so. Most schools have made a change of starting the school day between 30 minutes – 1 hour later.

For the most part, the later class times are resulting from the numerous studies that have shown benefits for students, such as better moods and a more alert mind.

Currently, the NASH starting time is bright and early at 7:25 a.m. Despite the early start, I would not want it to change, especially due to the consequences such a decision would bring.

As much as I dread waking up at 5:30 a.m. five times a week for a large part of my year, waking up at 6:30 a.m. will hardly do more good than harm.

Personally, a difference of one hour is barely felt. Some schools have considered pushing back start times by merely 15 minutes, which hardly seems worth the effort.

Furthermore, a starting time of one hour later means that students will get out of class one hour later. Thus, students will then stay up up one hour later, either completing homework or trying to fit in extracurriculars. Such a change in times therefore negates the intention.

Every school day, I am able to get out of school at 2:15 p.m., which is still relatively early in the day. There is still time to be able to go for a walk outside or to hang out with friends at a nearby restaurant.

Especially in the winter, the release time of one hour later leaves students with one less hour to have free time while there is still daylight. I would much rather be stuck in school while it is still early in the morning than be forced to sit in class late into the afternoon.

Additionally, the later starting time would cause complications for students who need to work. Most student shifts begin around 3:00, because places of employment are aware of the fact that most high schools end around 2:30. For example, at my place of employment, the after school shift begins at 3:00.

Currently, I find enough time to make a run back home to recollect myself before heading to work. However, if the school day now ends at 2:45, I would have to quickly race straight from school to work.

Although there is a potential chance that workplaces would change the schedule times for students, it would be a hassle for the students to ask this of them, especially considering that the other districts near NASH end school around 2:30.

Extracurriculars also are harmed by changing the start and end of the school day to a later time. For those who have practice or other activities after school, like football or marching band, they are then away from home for longer. This could lead to problems, like being unable to eat until later in the day.

Ultimately, while moving school starts time to a later time has shown benefits for students, I feel that doing so wouldn’t have as much of a difference in my well-being as it is commonly portrayed. When looking at the consequences it would cause as a whole, as a high school student myself, I would much rather stick with the early time, instead of pushing back the school start times.