Behind the Roar

One of three tiger mascots, Max Barnett has had to fend off irate dogs and out-dance the Pine-Richland Rams’ mascot.

Maddie Kantz, Staff Writer

Is there a specific code or set of rules you have to follow when in the costume?

I’m not allowed to sit on the ground, and if I’m in public I can’t take off the head because if little kids see a tiger without his head on…well, you can assume how they’ll think.

How did you become a mascot? Did you start off playing in band?

I have been in the band for all four years of high school. I started off with the flute, and as a junior, I started learning the tuba. As a senior, I asked if I could be the tiger.

How does it compare to being a band manager?

Well, as a band manager you help out the rest of the band kids with drinks and injuries, but as the tiger, I’m just the entertainment.

What is your favorite memory of being the mascot?

I have so many. I’ll have to give two answers. The first one has to be seeing these two kids that absolutely love the tiger, and they get so excited to see him. My second favorite memory is during one of the parades because there was this one dog that was super spooked by the tiger and couldn’t stop barking at me. It was hilarious.

Are there any pregame rituals the mascots do?

There’s nothing specific for the tiger, but since I’m a flute player at heart, I would join in the flute pregame ritual. We would all get in a circle and shake out our bodies and “drop it” (that one squat that people do, I don’t know how else to describe it).

With three different students who serve as the tiger mascot, how is it determined who gets to be a mascot for a particular game?

They have two mascots at every games. Sometimes we would both go out. Other times, if one of us was really tired, the other would go out for a while. The people who apply to be the tiger pretty much always get it because there’s hardly anyone that wants to be in the suit.

What is the weirdest encounter you’ve experienced while in costume?

The weirdest encounter had to be during the last game at Pine-Richland. The ram mascot came out, and we had a dance off. I have to say I think I won, but I might just be cocky.

What would people be most surprised to know about being a mascot?

The most surprising thing is how often the tiger costume regularly gets brushed. I thought that was pretty funny, but the costume needs it.

How comfortable is the costume during warm and cold games?

Sometimes even in the snowy weather, I would still be sweating on the inside in just a teeshirt and shorts. In the summer weather, I would have an ice pack vest on to keep me cooled down.

Do you plan on being in band in college?

I would love to be in a marching band in college. That’s not a requirement for me, but it would be really rad.

What is your favorite band event to participate in?

I personally enjoy the parades much more due to meeting new faces and having much more fun just letting go.