Project Water

Katie Golden, Co-Editor-In-Chief

In the past five years, Project Water has raised over $80,000 to fund the creation of clean water wells for over 1,000 people living in Africa. The program is well-known and loved for the annual dodgball tournamant which was unfortunately canceled this year due to the school closing in response to the COVID-19 outbreak. Despite this setback, the students on the Project Water team have been working hard to make a difference. 

Even while under quarantine, Project Water continues to help communities both locally, as students adjust to online learing, and globally, ensuring access to water even under difficult circumstance.

“By working alongside faculty and administration, Project Water offers tutoring services for younger students in the district struggling with online coursework and continues to support our international projects through yearlong business sponsorships and fundraisers,” explained Sanjit Beriwal, Logistics and Tournament Director. 

While most students may only be familiar with the spring dodgeball tournament, the Project Water team works hard throughout the year to raise money in order to help people all around the globe. “We work closely with our partner, World Vision, to create long-lasting change in communities throughout the world, whether through funding micro-financing programs for small businesses, building critical water infrastructure, or enriching lower-income students with opportunities to expand their educational horizon,” Beriwal continued. 

As of October 2019, NA Project Water has sponsored a total of 10 kids from countries around the world. These sponsorships help kids and their communities access resources like food, water, clothes, and financial support they need to attend school and improve their quality of life. Even though they are thousands of miles away, these kids have touched the hearts of many on the team.

“The mission team enjoyed writing and receiving letters from our sponsored kids throughout the year where we learned more about their communities,” said the Mission Director Grace Welsh.

Project Water sponsors 10 kids: 5 kids in Africa, 3 in Asia, and 2 in Central America.

Unfortunately, the team was not able to share these kids’ stories during the Project Experience at the dodgeball tournament. Even though it is in the best interest of students, the team was saddened that the it would not be held this year. Having gone from just playing in the tournament in her freshman year to becoming

Publicity Director in her senior year, Audra Sapp was especially hurt by the cancellation.

“I was heartbroken when I heard about the cancellation because I know how much work was put in by the directors, officers and team members as well as how many kids were excited to play dodgeball,” said Sapp. 

While the tournament may be cancelled, students should be reassured that team is doing everything they can for those who signed up.

“We are working closely with administration and our advisors to formulate a reimbursement strategy for the students who have donated to us to play in the tournament,” said Beriwal.

Looking past the current situation, the leaders are hopeful for the next year of Project Water and plan for a smooth transition between them and next year’s leadership team.

“We were all really hoping for a chance at getting a tournament maybe in the summer, but unfortunately this year is cancelled entirely. All of us worked really hard, and it was just a general event we all really loved. In spite of this year, we have a hopeful outcome for next year, with a very promising outlook, so that lifts our spirits,” said officer Jacob Pan.