Field Vision

Senior Raina Dodson’s passion for field hockey has been the driving force behind her athletic commitment to Ithaca College.

Abby Pingpank, News Editor

What inspired you to play field hockey? How old were you?

I had tried many different sports but never fell in love with one. My neighbor used to play field hockey, and my parents suggested I try it. I was 11 when I started playing.

What is your favorite thing about the sport? Is there anything specific that made you want to play collegiately?

My favorite thing about the sport is just the joy I get from playing it and the wonderful people and opportunities that I’ve had through it. Just my pure love for the sport and want to continue playing after high school made me want to play collegiately.

What are some of your favorite things to do in your free time? Do you have any hobbies?

Outside of field hockey, I am a part of Best Buddies. I am both the President of the North Allegheny Chapter and part of the PA Student Advisory Board for Best Buddies Pennsylvania. I also work at Chipotle, and I enjoy attending my youth group in my free time. 

Who are some big supporters in your life? Who helped you get to where you are today?

My dad and my Coach Kyla are two of my biggest supporters who helped me get to where I am today. My dad drove me all around the country, traveling to tournaments, camps, and clinics to help me improve my skills and grow my experience. Coach Kyla pushed me to improve and get better through everything. She was very hard on me but cared about me. She pushed me to be both the best player and the best person I could be. Neither of them ever gave up on me and believed in me always. For that, I will be forever grateful!

What was the whole recruiting process like?

The recruiting process was interesting! It was both incredibly stressful and incredibly exciting. It was overwhelming at times, talking to a bunch of different coaches from different schools, but also talking to different coaches made me look forward to playing in college even more! The college visits during the recruiting process were also very fun and enjoyable. They helped you really get to know the coaches, team, campus, and school a lot better— I really enjoyed these.

Why Ithaca?

I chose to continue my athletic and academic career at Ithaca because I had an instant connection with the team, coaches, and school itself. The team has a lot of core values that I really liked. The team atmosphere and relationships are really great, and that’s in addition to being a winning team. 

Did you play any other sports before you started to play field hockey? 

I used to do gymnastics, play soccer, and swim. 

Favorite movie or TV show of all time?

The Fosters and In the Dark are my two favorite TV shows.

Are you a part of any other school extracurriculars? 

I am in orchestra, Best Buddies, outreach club, and National Honors Society.

What do you plan on majoring on once you get to college? Why? 

I plan on majoring in physical therapy with a minor in coaching. Ithaca has an incredible 6-year Doctorate in physical therapy program. 

Favorite class you have taken at NA? 

AP Psych.

Favorite subject? 

I enjoy science and math subjects. I love applying math concepts to a problem and working to solve it. I also love learning about all sciences, but specifically Biology and Anatomy!