A Friday Night for the Ages

Despite considerable obstacles, Homecoming weekend went off without a hitch.

photo by Julia Poppa

The Tigers trounced the Big Macs, 35-0, on a night when things felt strangely the way they used to.

Each year the energy among the student body of North Allegheny rises exponentially as the days draw closer and closer to the beloved Homecoming weekend. Though many may have presumed that the atmosphere would be less upbeat this year, the days leading up to the Homecoming game were nearly just as exciting as they have been in years past.

In the absence of a dance this year, the energy that coursed through the stadium last Friday night was absolutely electric. Seniors got to walk the field with their parents, the Student Section showed out in a sea— well, to be more accurate, a small pond— of pink, and the members of the Marching Band once again took to the field in their stunning uniforms.

photo by Julia Poppa

Although drum majors Luke Henderson and Kiera Wilkinson were a part of this year’s Homecoming court, they still took their positions at the beginning of the game, alongside fellow drum major Nicholas Faber, to lead the band through one final national anthem.

photo by Julia Poppa

Despite not knowing if it would be their last game, the Student Section showed up and showed out better than ever for the ever-awaited pink-out game in support of breast cancer awareness.

Nearly every student was dressed head to toe in pink school spirit, which may have looked like a pink blur to some parents opposite them, but their dedication to cheering on the Tigers took hold, and parent supporters joined in their rally cries.

photo by Julia Poppa

And it would not have been a fitting Friday night without the cheerleaders flourishing large pom poms to help fans cheer on the team. The cheerleaders led both the parents and the student section through various intricate demonstrations of team support.

photo by Julia Poppa
photo by Julia Poppa

The Tigers themselves were just as outstanding as their supporters, taking home another win against the Canon-McMillan Big Macs.

“It’s an incredible feeling to finish the regular season undefeated,” said senior quarterback Greg Phillips, “but the job isn’t done. We’re still preparing to play in the championship.”

photo by Julia Poppa

“This season has had so many challenges,” Phillips continued. “Games got cancelled, coaches and teammates weren’t allowed to come to games, and it was a really short season, but with all of these challenges we’ve done our best and have put ourselves in a great position.”

photo by Julia Poppa

The Tigers won in a 35-0 shutout against the Big Macs, securing their position as the only remaining undefeated team in Class 6A, as they head into the WPIAL championships.

“It was a great feeling to end the season with the guys you grew up playing football with,” said senior wide receiver Khalil Dinkins. “I couldn’t have asked for it any other way.”

photo by Julia Poppa

The shortened season was the cause for some sadness among the team, but it appeared to create a new kind of bond among the players who realized that their final games —  with some of their closest friends — were numbered.

“I will most definitely miss the guys,” said Dinkins, “We all grew up knowing each other and it’s going to be hard to say goodbye when it’s all over.”

photo by Julia Poppa

But the mix of excitement and melancholy was not exclusive to the football players alone.

The band and the rest of their ensemble, including the Dance Team, Majorettes, and Color Guard, were hit hard by the emotions consuming the stadium that night.

“I was — and honestly still am — shocked by the fact that I’m a senior,” said Dance Team member Kathy Reynolds. “All I could think about while walking out onto the field with my mom was how vividly I remembered watching everyone walk my freshman year, and now all of a sudden I’m a senior.”

photo by Julia Poppa

But in the rush of excitement and nostalgia, the band and the auxiliaries put on a dazzling show that is sure to resonate in their memories for the rest of their lives.

photo by Julia Poppa
photo by Julia Poppa

Despite the lack of a dance, no Homecoming game would have been complete without the presentation of the Homecoming court.

photo by Julia Poppa

The cold weathers posed a small challenge for members of the court.  Senior Chris Baker (below) unfortunately needed to wear glasses and a mask at the same time.

photo by Julia Poppa

Although several members of the court were unable to attend due to an abundance of caution regarding Covid-19, they were certainly there in spirit as members of their respective organizations filled in for them.

“Being a stand-in was an extremely conflicting experience,” said Jenny Zhu, who replaced senior Shejuti Wahed. “On one hand, I knew that I was given an amazing opportunity that inevitably resulted in an amazing night, but on the other, there was the regret that I was only there because someone else couldn’t make it.”

“Walking down the 50 yard line, the only thought going through my head was ‘do not fall, do not fall,’ but I knew that the night was for Shejuti and to make it all about her as well. I delivered her tiara, rose, and sash with Chipotle the next day,” Zhu added.

photo by Julia Poppa

And, of course, no Homecoming is complete without the crowning of the king and queen, whose crowns were granted to seniors Lily Waskiewicz and Micah Bohnenstengel.

“At the beginning of the night, I found out that I was the Senior Class Representative for the boys, which meant I was selected out of everyone in the grade,” said Bohnenstengel, “and at that point I knew I had a chance to win.”

“When my name was called for king, I had a surreal feeling of ‘oh my gosh I actually won,’” continued Bohnenstengel. “It was also pretty cool to think that I won despite not being what I would think of as a ‘typical’ Homecoming King.”

photo by Julia Poppa
photo by Julia Poppa

Despite this year’s challenging circumstances, it was certainly a Homecoming to remember. From the court to the field to the stands, NA did a commendable job of maintaining a tradition and providing the Class of ’21 with a night they will likely never forget.

photo by Julia Poppa

Stay tuned to the North Allegheny Athletics website for updates on the upcoming playoff schedule for the Tiger Football Team.

photo by Julia Poppa