Not So Fast

Kennedy Stana, Staff Writer

In our society, various political views are displayed all throughout the world, especially this time of year. Everywhere you look, you see a new sign trying to get the younger generations to vote. However, sometimes this encouragement only adds to the pressure some young adults may feel.

You may be thinking, “Oh, it will pressure them into voting.” Well, for many students, that is far from the case. 

Having political views in today’s environment is a risky move. Many students who feel comfortable voicing their opinions are not very pleased when others do not agree with their stances. This new, frightening political world is a terrifying place for many kids. 

Disagreeing on either side of the aisle can be intimidating. Our world is extremely judgmental when it comes to a lot of new ideas, so at times, many kids feel like if they voice their opinions, people who disagree will simply not respect them.

Additionally, people who do feel strongly about politics are very not very welcoming to others who are not as well-versed in the subject. Some kids who are just getting their feet wet in politics are not accepted by certain peers.

The fear our generation is feeling has caused a wave in society. The effect it is having on us is something many older generations cannot attest to. This new conversation is becoming toxic to the point where a lot of people have chosen to stand back and watch. The venomous environment is a huge reason why many students do not feel the need to be politically involved.

Our generation’s voice is surely one of the most important ways to make a change. But how can we do that with a lack of communication and an increasing amount of bitterness? Politics used to be a great informal way to hear both views and to educate ourselves. It has turned into a battleground and place of judgment. 

Many students have grown up being influenced by their parents’ opinions, which have now affected their current stance on either party. This has caused many kids to be brainwashed by what their parents have told them— not by what is accurate.

There’s also an issue in the fact that numerous couples are split on which party they support. Hearing your parents constantly debate in a childish manner is an unpleasant sight. It ends up being an argument on which parent believes which candidate will be a better leader, and when people are forced to take sides, it gets ugly.

Another reason politics are becoming more toxic is the media. The news is a platform that expresses opinions quite often. Fox News is a very Republican-based program, while CNN is more liberal. Listening to either channel can force you to question everything you thought you knew because of “fake news.” 

All of these outside influences are reasons why many young individuals do not want to vote. Politics have become a pernicious environment.  It all has gotten to a point where now kids don’t feel the need to start another conflict amid the chaos, so they now keep what they feel inside. The anxiety that rushes over them when they are demanded to speak is a reason most do not feel they can voice their opinion through their vote.

The reality is that many students often question if they want to cause yet another fight in an already tense society or is it easier to stay silent.