To the Polls

Abby Pingpank, News Editor

With what is going on around the world in 2020, it is hard not to have an opinion about a host of political issues. But it’s our ability to vote that allows us to express these views in the most productive way. In fact, if we exercise that right, opinionated young adults may just have the largest impact this November. 

Many students here at NASH are getting to vote in their first election this year. While that may be exciting, this is one odd election year. This presidential race is like no other — intensely divisive. While some students are confused about what this means for them, many are more ready than ever to cast their vote.

Having the right to vote in the United States is something many students in other countries do not get to do. If we are given such a big privilege, it is our job to take advantage of it. And as long as newly-turned eighteen year olds are not afraid of putting their opinions out there, why stop them? 

Many adults tend to believe that parents or the news skew a young adult’s political views. And with all the news floating around, whether it is from biased news stations or people like celebrities, it’s a fair argument.

When I think of media bias, I often think of Fox News, a very conservative program, and CNN, a very liberal program. When flipping back and forth between the two stations, it impossible to not notice that Fox is always backing the president, and CNN is always criticizing him.

Many people with strong opinions will call the other side “fake news.” Whether one believes it is fake news or not, these broadcasts have one job– to inform you. Maybe they secretly persuade their viewers, but that topic is for another day.

However, while biased news sources may be be a factor, a young adult’s choice is their choice, and ultimately, that is their vote.

Having an opinion is a good thing, but it can sometimes lead to heated arguments. Some people believe that their opinion is the only way to live. If somebody is planning to vote for the other party or has different political beliefs, and they are increasingly stubborn about their views, then arguing with them is not worth your time. 

At times, these differences can cause social media to blow up. Someone will post a strong picture or message to show their beliefs, and then somebody from the opposing party will see it, resulting in an argument. 

In the end, however, despite all of the fighting, that individual has the right to post what they want.

Young adults voting in their first election this year have it tough — not only with the new policies and different voting methods, but the fact that some feel scared to voice their opinion. It is hard to have such a strong opinion when it seems like the world is going to attack you for it.

However, when students have the right to express themselves on social media and, most importantly, at the polls, then they should by all means use it. If they have a view that others may not agree with, they should feel unafraid.

After all, respectful disagreement is at the heart of a healthy democracy, and as the next generation of leaders, we should embrace our right to free speech and use it well.