Beach Bound

After school lets out this June, many 2021 graduates will be heading to Ocean City, Maryland for their senior trip.

photo courtesy of Zoomviewer

Ocean City has become a popular vacation spot for North Allegheny students.

Look out Ocean City, here come the NASH seniors! While senior trips are a hallmark of any graduating class, many North Allegheny 2021 graduates are making their senior trip destination Ocean City, Maryland.

Due to COVID-19, the seniors have had a stressful end to their high school experience and have missed out on some of the most beloved traditions. But as travel restrictions are being lifted throughout the country, many are preparing for one last trip with their friends. 

“I am going to Ocean City for one week. I am leaving the day after graduation, June 12, and coming back home on the 19th,” senior Michelina Gliozzi said. “I chose Ocean City because it is a nice beach with a great boardwalk, and it is not too expensive to stay there. I am going with nine of my friends, and we are sharing a condo.”

The price of staying in Ocean City is what attracted NASH seniors to the popular vacation spot. 

“We chose Ocean City because it’s a big senior trip spot, and it was the cheapest. My friends and I are paying for most of the trip, so the cost is a huge factor in our decision,” senior Nick Hitson explained. “I’m going with my closest friends, Shae Walk, Doug Melzer, Liam Kenny, Max Stedeford, and Collin McCorkle. I’m looking forward to playing spikeball on the beach and having a chill week with my friends.”

Ocean City also has a variety of housing options for students.

“My friends and I are going from June 13th through the 20th. We are staying in a condo on the boardwalk. We chose it because it had a ton of space and was right on the beach and boardwalk,” senior Zach Ludwick said.

For many students, the trip will be one of their first exercises in independence. 

“I am with a group of eight girls. I am excited to be independent for a week, so it can get me ready for college,” senior Mary-Kate Pilotta said.

While COVID-19 restrictions may still be in place come June, many seniors are hopeful that they will be able to have an enjoyable vacation.

I think it will still be really fun because I will be with my friends and at my favorite place. I also think that by June, most people will have had their vaccination, and there will be less restrictions,” Gliozzi said.

After a year of adapting to restrictions, Pilotta is confident that a few more changes won’t ruin their trip.

“Even though there are COVID restrictions, I think it will still be fun,” she said. “Within the past year, a lot of events were cancelled, and I still found a way to enjoy senior year. It’s all about being safe but also having a good time with my friends.”

Ludwick believes that the location will make following any potential health guidelines much easier.

“I don’t think COVID restrictions will be anything like they once were with cases down and vaccines continuing to roll out, but no matter what, the beach is still a good place to distance from other parties. It will be a good time,” he added.

It is safe to say that the residents of Ocean City should expect an abundance of North Allegheny graduates — all ready to put an overwhelming year behind them and make a few more memories with their high school friends.