Aloha, Class of ’21!

In lieu of the Senior Banquet, a Hawaiian luau on the field at Newman Stadium will serve as this year’s senior send-off.

photo by Sofia Brickner

With the end of the school year comes a final get together for the seniors.

Sofia Brickner, Senior Staff Writer

As the school year comes to an end and summer calls just around the corner, one last fun-filled event is planned for the seniors. Taking place on Friday, June 4th from 6-10PM (rain or shine), the 2021 Hawaiian Luau Senior Send-Off is a great way for seniors to end the school year with a bang and engage in an evening of fun with their fellow classmates.

Despite the uncertainty in what restrictions were going to be in place the spring of 2021 for Prom, Post-Prom, and the Senior Banquet due to COVID-19, the event was initiated all the way back in October by a group of senior parents. Event organizer Mrs. Constantakis had plenty to say on the details of the event. 

“We wanted to ensure the seniors had a chance to celebrate their senior year in a safe and fun environment,” Constantakis said. “The NA  Administration was very supportive of our cause but the planning was cautious with regard to the venue and ability to socially distance the students. It was decided to hold the event outside in the Newman Stadium in lieu of the senior banquet on June 4th. We realized that unless the threat of the virus decreased significantly, we would not be able to proceed.”

NATV

However, with the gradual return to normalcy, the committee was able to make the senior send-off happen.

“Fortunately, with the increase of available vaccines and the decrease of COVID-19 cases in Allegheny County and at North Allegheny, we are able to go forward with this event,” Constantakis explained.

Seniors can expect to participate in a wide variety of entertainment, games, and activities at the luau.

“There are many games and entertainment planned for the evening, including a DJ, karaoke, henna, ballon artists, an illusionist, a photo booth, and many photo ops, casino games, bingo, corn-hole tournament, 10-square volleyball, and many more!” Constantakis said.

Additionally, plenty of snacks, refreshments, and food will be available for everyone to enjoy.

“Food will be provided, such as pizza and subs from local vendors and items from Chick-Fil-A and Moe’s. A roast pig will be set up upon arrival then carved and served shortly after from the concession stands. There will be plenty of dessert options, including ice cream from Brusters, shaved ice, Eat-N-Park cookies, and more. Refreshments will include soft drinks, iced coffee and water,” she said.

Allergy-friendly options are also available for students.

“There will also be a separate area for gluten and nut-free items to be served as well,” Constantakis said.

Tickets for the luau are available through tomorrow for $25. Through email, students should fill out a google form and waiver in order to purchase a ticket from the main office, Monday-Friday from 7am-3pm or during all lunch periods. Students should prepare for the event by wearing Hawaiian/Luau themed clothes and comfortable shoes and be ready to engage in an evening of fun.

“With the help and support of all the senior families, the class of 2021 is fortunate to finally be able to celebrate their journey and friendships made throughout their time at North Allegheny!” Constantakis remarked.