The Importance of Student Journalism

Student journalism has immense significance as a key component in the encouragement of expression.

Becoming+a+student+journalist+allows+young+people+to+take+in+the+world+around+them+more+efficiently.+

photo by Jess Daninhirsch

Becoming a student journalist allows young people to take in the world around them more efficiently.

Anna Parsons, Staff Writer

To be able to speak freely, passionately, and expressively is a gift and having a public platform to do that is even more of a gift. The significance of journalism as a whole is, ironically, beyond words. But the significance of student journalism, specifically, creates a starting point for the encouragement of expression in young people. 

When we’re taught to talk, we’re taught how to make a difference. When we’re taught to then coherently express ideas, we’re taught how to make immense change within our growing world. And then there’s the extra layer that not every individual has the opportunity to experience. The actual publication of written words that reach thousands of people. That’s how journalism has become so important. 

And for young people, who are stereotypically told to keep quiet due to a perceived lack of wisdom, having a place to write down thoughts and send them out to the world becomes invaluable. And further, it becomes a place where others can hear their voice and develop their own views. 

Starting the encouragement of expression in a person so young allows that student journalist to develop their skills, not just as a writer, but as a communicator. Not every student journalist who writes for their school newspaper wants to pursue journalism in the future. But with the skills they obtain through the publication of their own ideas, they become more equipped to take in the world around them. 

Starting the encouragement of expression in a person so young allows that student journalist to develop their skills, not just as a writer, but as a communicator.

Whether it’s informing, persuading, comparing and contrasting, or just creating creative content, student journalism matures the voice of a young individual. The importance of evolving a young voice to speak openly about their school, community, or the wider world in order to improve the quality of them is beyond significant.  

Without an avenue, for ones who desire it, to communicate their thoughts to others, there’s an equivalence of silence in the world. And that silence can easily engulf all those who seek to overcome it, especially those who are perceived as too juvenile. But student journalism gives pupils a way to fight the silence that could simply surround them — the silence that they’re told to let in. 

Student journalism doesn’t just allow for the beginning of a student’s journey of expression. It also creates a way for students to receive praise on their writing and creations from the student body and staff. This act of validation from their peers and teachers fuels the overall encouragement of developing their own voice, which only furthers their journey. 

Without an avenue, for ones who desire it, to communicate their thoughts to others, there’s an equivalence of silence in the world.

In schools, it can be easy to get lost in the sea of students. But writing for the newspaper becomes a spotlight for a student, a way to step away from the crowd and project their voice and ideas, a chance for individualism to flourish. 

The importance of student journalism runs from simple praise to the true development of a voice within a person starting at a young age. Even if the student journalist’s future does not include professional journalism, their work in school serves as the first stepping stone to learning to speak freely and confidently.

A world without the publication of ideas is a world of silence, and young people should be anything but silent.