A Look Back on Week One

NASH students reflect on the start of the 23-24 school year.
Ruby Morris
A NASH student finds his way to his car following a long school day.

On Sunday August 21st, many North Allegheny students leisurely rolled out of bed. Perhaps it was 9:00 AM, or maybe it was closer to 1 or 2 PM. And as the sun warmed their faces, they soaked in the last rays of summer break. 

The following week brought dark, early mornings, the crowded NASH parking lot, and the zoo known as the NASH Cafeteria. 

For many juniors and seniors, the first week back was a big adjustment. NASH senior Adalie Bofinger definitely had to take the first week one day at a time.

“The first day of senior year honestly felt so off from past years. I think this week has been a time of processing a new year and getting back into the rhythm of going to school every day,” Bofinger said on Friday. 

Others, such as junior Joseph Li, were pleased with week one. 

“My first week went surprisingly well. I was kind of scared with all the now-seniors telling me which classes to take and not to take the previous year. Yet, all my teachers were very nice, and nothing [bad] happened. My classes were only a little bit scary. I would say the first week at NASH went great,” Li said. 

NASH junior Carson Corona was also happy with how his first week went. 

“My expectations for NASH were that I would get lost and everyone would be unfriendly. I was pleasantly surprised I did not get lost and everyone was very friendly. The teachers were all so nice and I felt very safe,” Corona said.

Senior Chuck Baker had mixed feelings regarding his first week back.

“The first week of school was a bit hectic,” he said. “It was fun to see new and old faces, and meeting new teachers is always nice. This week made me very, very tired, though. I have been asleep almost every day after school. I think I just need to get used to the schedule change in my day.”

This time of year is always one of change, and the first week of the 2023-2024 school year gave NASH students a small taste of what the next ten months will look like.