Tigers are Hungry

The Student Section steps up its game for the 18-19 season

Ashley Borg, Reporter

On August 24th, the Tiger Football Team played its first game at Newman Stadium against COF Academy. The Tigers took their first win, 45 – 20, thanks to a killer offense and a stout defense.  The team went on to trounce Norwin the following week.

However, the football players were not the only ones putting in hard work. The Student Section has come together to show real Tiger spirit in the stands.

“The goal of the Student Section is to unite the student body and show support for our peers,” section leader Kristen Chomos said.

In addition to Chomos, the section leaders of this year’s group are Gunnar Fisher, Devon Angermeier, Cam Medic, and Nick Bridges. Along with these leaders, Zach Trdinich has been the go-to specialist for video and editing.

The group has also taken Tiger pride to Snapchat, posting daily about weekly themes, upcoming games, and other events.

“We all agreed that the NA Student Section Snapchat is a great way to directly reach students and keep them updated on day-to-day informations as well as to hype everybody up for the upcoming events,” Chomos said.

Snapchat helped grow the turnout for the opening game’s beach theme. The stands were filled with tropical shirts and colorful leis, and the tailgates beforehand looked made the NASH parking lot look like Miami Beach. Additionaly, a separate tailgate was held in the morning before school. 

The game commenced and the Tigers were wild in the stands and on the field.

“My time at the game was fun and amusing,” junior Joci Rice said. “Where I was standing, everyone seemed super into all the cheers and the game.”

Chomos emphasized that the section is trying to stand out this year by pulling together new ideas and becoming inclusive for students of all ages.

“We will soon be releasing designated Games of the Week,” Chomos added. “The purpose for these specific games is to draw an organized crowd of students to all of the other sports, such as soccer, field hockey, and volleyball, just to name a few. We want all freshmen through seniors to come and be a part of the section, even if you have never joined is before. Last game we even had some middle schooler join us.”

The section leaders encourage all of the students at NA to get involved.  Start off by following the Student Section Snapchat to be regularly updated with upcoming activities and events @north_allegheny.

Tigers are hungry and ready make their mark in all sports this season.