Night at the Cabaret

The unique choral event returns for its second year

Night at the Cabaret

Photo by Alexis Franczyk

Photo by Alexis Franczyk

photo by Alexis Franczyk

Photo by Alexis Franczyk

photo by Alexis Franczyk

photo by Alexis Franczyk

Photo by Alexis Franczyk

Alexis Franczyk, Reporter

North Allegheny’s second annual cabaret is drawing near — Saturday, October 27th to be exact. Partnered with the NACPA (North Allegheny Choir Patrons Association), Choral Director Mr. Schmiech and dozens of students have been hard at work preparing this one-a-kind event since September.

And if you don’t exactly know what a cabaret is, it is entertainment provided to people as they sit and enjoy food or drinks.

Or, as Choral Director Mr. Schmiech explains, “The cabaret is a concert that gives students the opportunity to perform outside of the traditional choral setting.” 

The cabaret, which Schmiech introduced last year, was such a success because so many of the sheer amount of artistic talent at NASH.  And even though the choral concerts are well attended, they cannot feature every student’s strengths  — unless audeniences want the concerts to last another four hours, plus an hour of trying to get out of the NASH parking lot.  North Allegheny is endowed with many talented singers and musicians, but unfortunately many of them had not gotten their time to shine before the arrival of the cabaret. 

Because of last year’s overwhelming house, the cabaret will be moved from the cafeteria to the auditorium this year. Audience members can cheer on their friends, enjoy refreshments, and savor the vocal talent on display. 

While some schools across the country don’t have the budget for a choral program, NA is fortunate to provide singers with an environment to thrive.  Yet, while the cabaret is free, Schmiech added that donations to the Choral program will be greatly appreciated.

“We also use it as a fundraiser,” he said,  “so if you’re interested in coming we appreciate cash or check donations, but there is no ticket price.”

Schmiech added that the show runs the spectrum of musical genres.

**They can do solos and duets or perform with a band or just a pianist,” he said. “We put on a fun show with a diverse program of music including, pop, rock, classical, musical theater, and jazz.”

Valerie Davis, a senior in Honors Chamber Choir, is one of many who sees the cabaret as a unique chance to enjoy the spotlight.

“Last year I performed a duet with Careena El-Khatib, so this year I thought I’d challenge myself to do a solo,” said Davis, who will be singing “When He Sees Me.”  

The lineup will also feature Melina Bowser singing one of her original songs, “Something,” Ben Chamis and Evan Diulus performing “Found/Tonight” by Ben Platt and Lin Manuel Miranda, and Ava DiMartino and Amelia Seymour singing “Up the Ladder to the Roof,” originally recorded by The Supremes. 

And that’s only a fraction of the vocal entertainment to be enjoyed at 7pm on October 27th in the NASH Auditorium.

Alexis Franczyk, Reporter

Alexis Franczyk, a junior at NASH,  is excited to contribute to The Uproar for her first time. As an honors English student since she was in elementary...